The Providence College men’s soccer team topped BIG EAST opponent Seton Hall, 3-1, on Saturday afternoon at Chapey Field at Anderson Stadium.
Providence – 3 | Seton Hall – 1
Providence - 4-7-2 (1-2-2 BE) | Seton Hall – 5-7-1 (2-3-0 BE)
Chapey Field at Anderson Stadium – Providence, R.I.
GAME FLOW & NOTES
- Mac Steeves (Needham, Mass.) scored his team-high seventh goal of the season in the 38th minute of play. Joao Serrano (Evora, Portugal) took a free kick from the right side that found Steeves waiting in the box. He was able to put home his own rebound chance to give the Friars a 1-0 lead.
- Steeves and Serrano combined again to give the Friars a 2-0 lead with just six seconds remaining in the half. Serrano’s corner kick found the head of Steeves at the far post.
- Matt DePerro (Baldwinsville, N.Y.) scored his second career goal in as many games. Klisman Sousa (Sal, Cape Verde) set up the play with a great pass from the backline. DePerro was able to beat his defender and finish to the far post in the 57th minute.
- Seton Hall was able to get a goal back in the 88th minute of play. Marco Neves took a shot from inside the box that deflected off of a Providence defender and into the back of the net. Jonathan Jimenez was credited with the assist.
- Colin Miller (Bel Air, Md.) made three saves on the afternoon, while Peyton Elder made four for the Pirates.
- Mac Steeves’ two-goal game was his second of the season. With his goals today, he surpassed former teammate Julian Gressel on the all-time points leaderboard. Steeves is now in second place all-time with 82 points.
HOW THEY SCORED
1-0 (Providence) – 38:57 – Mac Steeves, assisted by Joao Serrano – Goal from inside the 6 off a free kick
2-0 (Providence) – 44:54 – Mac Steeves, assisted by Joao Serrano – Header off a corner kick
3-0 (Providence) – 56:53 – Matt DePerro, assisted by Klisman Sousa – Beat defender 1v1 and finished to the far post
3-1 (Seton Hall) – 87:25 – Marco Neves, assisted by Jonathan Jimenez – Shot in the box that deflected off of a Providence defender
Providence: Colin Miller, 4-5-2: 3 saves, 1 goal against
Seton Hall: Peyton Elder, 2-1-0: 4 saves, 3 goals against
Shots on goal: 7
Corner kicks: 8
Shots on goal: 4
Corner kicks: 6
The Friars’ next game is at home on Saturday, Oct. 21. Providence takes on BIG EAST opponent Creighton at 7:00 p.m. on Chapey Field at Anderson Stadium.
For more updates on the Providence men's soccer program, follow the team on Twitter @PCFriarsMSoccer
- GO FRIARS -
Official StoreOfficial Online
Men’s Soccer Travels...
The Providence College men’s soccer team will face Xavier University in the BIG EAST Tournament First Round on Saturday, Nov. 4. The game is set for 7:...
Colin Miller Collects Second...
It was announced today (Nov. 2) that Providence College redshirt junior Colin Miller (Bel Air, Md.) was named BIG EAST Goalkeeper of the Week for the second ...
Men's Soccer Draws In...
The Providence College men’s soccer team tied St. John’s (0-0) on Wednesday, Nov 1. in Providence, R.I.
Men’s Soccer Wraps Up ...
The Providence College men’s soccer team welcomes St. John’s for a crucial BIG EAST matchup on Senior Night. The game is set for 7:00 p.m. on Nov...
Colin Miller Named BIG EAST ...
It was announced today (Oct. 30) that Providence College redshirt junior Colin Miller (Bel Air, Md.) earned BIG EAST Goalkeeper of the Week.
Men's Soccer Picks Up 2-1...
The Providence College men’s soccer team defeated Villanova, 2-1, in BIG EAST Conference action on Saturday, Oct. 28 in Villanova, Pa.
Men's Soccer Eyes Villanova
The Providence College men’s soccer team squares off with BIG EAST foe Villanova on Saturday, Oct. 28 at 1:00 p.m. in Villanova, Pa.
Providence College Men’...
The Providence College men’s soccer team battled to a 0-0 draw at No. 10 Georgetown in a key BIG EAST matchup at Shaw Field on Wednesday afternoon.