PROVIDENCE, R.I. -
Providence – 2 | Brown – 1
Providence - 3-7-2 (0-2-2 BE) | Brown – 6-3-1 (1-1-0 Ivy)
Chapey Field at Anderson Stadium – Providence, R.I.
GAME FLOW & NOTES
- Matt DePerro (Baldwinsville, N.Y.) scored the first goal of his career in the 14th minute. Redshirt senior Brian Kennedy (Upland, Calif.) played a ball through, which DePerro was able to run onto. He then beat the keeper and slid it home to put the Friars up 1-0.
- The Friars nearly increased their lead in the final minutes of the half. Brendan Reardon (Nesconset, N.Y.) took a shot from the top of the box that forced Joey Cipicchio to make a diving save. Tiago Mendonca (Faro, Portugal) followed up with a second attempt that Cipicchio had to leap up and save.
- Early in the second half, the Bears leveled the score with a similar goal to the Friars’ first half goal. Nico Lozada played a through ball that John Vrablic was able to get past Colin Miller (Bel Air, Md.) who was streaking off his line.
- Regulation ended with Providence leading 14-7 in shots.
- In the 96th minute, Serrano was the hero for Providence. He lined up for a free kick just outside of the 18-yard box and was able to curl the ball around the wall perfectly.
- Serrano’s goal was his second of the season. His other goal also came on a free kick against North Carolina.
- All three of Providence’s wins this season have come against Rhode Island opponents. The Friars beat Rhode Island in double overtime and Bryant in regulation earlier this season.
HOW THEY SCORED
1-0 (Providence) – 13:18 – Matt DePerro, assisted by Brian Kennedy – Through ball from Kennedy that DePerro slid past the goalkeeper coming off his line
1-1 (Brown) – 51:16 – John Vrablic, assisted by Nico Lozada – Through ball to Vrablic who beat Miller coming out off his line
2-1 (Providence) – 95:55 – Joao Serrano – Free kick from just outside the 18
Providence: Colin Miller, 3-5-2: 2 saves, 1 goal against
Brown: Joey Cipicchio, 6-3-1: 4 saves, 2 goals against
Shots on goal: 6
Corner kicks: 5
Shots on goal: 3
Corner kicks: 2
The Friars’ next game is at home on Saturday, Oct. 14. Providence takes on BIG EAST opponent Seton Hall at 4:00 p.m. on Chapey Field at Anderson Stadium.
For more updates on the Providence men's soccer program, follow the team on Twitter@PCFriarsMSoccer
- GO FRIARS -
Official StoreOfficial Online
Men’s Soccer Downed in...
The Providence College men’s soccer team fell to Xavier University by a score of 3-0 in the BIG EAST Quarterfinal on Nov. 4 at XU Soccer Complex.
Steeves and DePerro Collect ...
It was announced today (Nov. 3) that Mac Steeves (Needham, Mass.) and Matt DePerro (Baldwinsville, N.Y.) of the Providence College men’s soccer team...
Men’s Soccer Travels...
The Providence College men’s soccer team will face Xavier University in the BIG EAST Tournament First Round on Saturday, Nov. 4. The game is set for 7:...
Colin Miller Collects Second...
It was announced today (Nov. 2) that Providence College redshirt junior Colin Miller (Bel Air, Md.) was named BIG EAST Goalkeeper of the Week for the second ...
Men's Soccer Draws In...
The Providence College men’s soccer team tied St. John’s (0-0) on Wednesday, Nov 1. in Providence, R.I.
Men’s Soccer Wraps Up ...
The Providence College men’s soccer team welcomes St. John’s for a crucial BIG EAST matchup on Senior Night. The game is set for 7:00 p.m. on Nov...
Colin Miller Named BIG EAST ...
It was announced today (Oct. 30) that Providence College redshirt junior Colin Miller (Bel Air, Md.) earned BIG EAST Goalkeeper of the Week.
Men's Soccer Picks Up 2-1...
The Providence College men’s soccer team defeated Villanova, 2-1, in BIG EAST Conference action on Saturday, Oct. 28 in Villanova, Pa.