PROVIDENCE, R.I. -
Providence – 2 | Brown – 1
Providence - 3-7-2 (0-2-2 BE) | Brown – 6-3-1 (1-1-0 Ivy)
Chapey Field at Anderson Stadium – Providence, R.I.
GAME FLOW & NOTES
- Matt DePerro (Baldwinsville, N.Y.) scored the first goal of his career in the 14th minute. Redshirt senior Brian Kennedy (Upland, Calif.) played a ball through, which DePerro was able to run onto. He then beat the keeper and slid it home to put the Friars up 1-0.
- The Friars nearly increased their lead in the final minutes of the half. Brendan Reardon (Nesconset, N.Y.) took a shot from the top of the box that forced Joey Cipicchio to make a diving save. Tiago Mendonca (Faro, Portugal) followed up with a second attempt that Cipicchio had to leap up and save.
- Early in the second half, the Bears leveled the score with a similar goal to the Friars’ first half goal. Nico Lozada played a through ball that John Vrablic was able to get past Colin Miller (Bel Air, Md.) who was streaking off his line.
- Regulation ended with Providence leading 14-7 in shots.
- In the 96th minute, Serrano was the hero for Providence. He lined up for a free kick just outside of the 18-yard box and was able to curl the ball around the wall perfectly.
- Serrano’s goal was his second of the season. His other goal also came on a free kick against North Carolina.
- All three of Providence’s wins this season have come against Rhode Island opponents. The Friars beat Rhode Island in double overtime and Bryant in regulation earlier this season.
HOW THEY SCORED
1-0 (Providence) – 13:18 – Matt DePerro, assisted by Brian Kennedy – Through ball from Kennedy that DePerro slid past the goalkeeper coming off his line
1-1 (Brown) – 51:16 – John Vrablic, assisted by Nico Lozada – Through ball to Vrablic who beat Miller coming out off his line
2-1 (Providence) – 95:55 – Joao Serrano – Free kick from just outside the 18
Providence: Colin Miller, 3-5-2: 2 saves, 1 goal against
Brown: Joey Cipicchio, 6-3-1: 4 saves, 2 goals against
Shots on goal: 6
Corner kicks: 5
Shots on goal: 3
Corner kicks: 2
The Friars’ next game is at home on Saturday, Oct. 14. Providence takes on BIG EAST opponent Seton Hall at 4:00 p.m. on Chapey Field at Anderson Stadium.
For more updates on the Providence men's soccer program, follow the team on Twitter@PCFriarsMSoccer
- GO FRIARS -
Official StoreOfficial Online
Men's Soccer Clashes With...
The Providence College men’s soccer welcomes BIG EAST opponent Seton Hall to Chapey Field at Anderson Stadium for a conference match-up on Saturday,...
Men’s Soccer Wins...
Joao Serrano (Evora, Portgual) scored the game-winning goal in the 96th minute to lead the Providence College men’s soccer team over Brown University, ...
Men’s Soccer Welcomes ...
The Providence College men’s soccer team hosts cross-town rival Brown University on Wednesday, Oct. 11 at 7:00 on Chapey Field at Anderson Stadium. The...
Men’s Soccer Ties at...
The Providence College men’s soccer team tied the Marquette Golden Eagles, 2-2, in double-overtime on Saturday, Oct. 7 in Milwaukee, Wis. The Friars...
Providence College Men’...
The Providence College men’s soccer team takes on the Marquette Golden Eagles on Saturday, Oct. 7 at 1:00 p.m in Milwaukee, Wis.
Men’s Soccer Downed at...
The Providence College men’s soccer team fell to BIG EAST rival Xavier, 4-1, on Saturday night at XU Soccer Complex.
BIG EAST Matchup with Xavier...
The Providence College men’s soccer team travels to Cincinnati, Ohio to take on the Xavier University Musketeers on Saturday, Sept. 30 at 7:00 p.m.
Men’s Soccer Falls to ...
The Providence College men’s soccer team fell to the University of Connecticut, 1-0, on Tuesday night at Joseph J. Morrone Stadium.