PROVIDENCE, R.I. -
The Providence College men’s soccer team fell to Harvard, 2-1, on Saturday night at Anderson Stadium.
Harvard – 2 | Providence – 1
Providence - 2-3-0 | Harvard - 1-2-0
Chapey Field at Anderson Stadium – Providence, R.I.
GAME FLOW & NOTES
- The Crimson got on the board first with a tally in the eighth minute. Sophomore Matthew Glass volleyed home a ball from about 10 yards out. Assists went to Eric Gylling and Justin Crichlow.
- Braden Kline (Lancaster, Pa.) appeared to have scored the equalizer a few minutes later, but the referee signaled no goal.
- Mac Steeves (Needham, Mass.) left nothing up for interpretation when he scored 18:54 into the first half. Joao Serrano (Evora, Portugal) played the ball to the feet of Malcolm Duncan (Toronto, Ontario). He then played the ball across for Steeves’ one-time finish and picked up his first collegiate point.
- Serrano was ejected from the game in the 42nd minute after being tangled up with a Harvard player.
- Harvard and Providence each received two yellow cards during the match.
- In the early stages of the second half, Colin Miller (Bel Air, Md.) made two huge saves. First, he dove to his left and pushed a shot from Philip Hausen around the post. Nearly 20 minutes later, he was able to elevate and knock a shot from Christian Sady over the crossbar.
- Paolo Bellon-Urso notched the game-winner for Harvard with less than six minutes remaining in regulation. He took a shot from the top of the box that beat Miller.
HOW THEY SCORED
1-0 (H) – 07:17 – Matthew Glass, assisted by Eric Gylling and Justin Crichlow – A half-volley from 10 yards out
1-1 (PC) – 18:54 – Mac Steeves, assisted by Malcolm Duncan and Joao Serrano – Cross from Duncan, redirected before a one-time finish by Steeves
2-1 (H) – 84:01 – Paolo Belloni-Urso – Shot from the top of the box that beat Miller
Providence: Colin Miller, 2-1-0: 4 saves, 2 goals against
Harvard: Kyle Parks, 1-2-0: 2 saves, 1 goal against
Shots on goal: 3
Corner kicks: 8
Shots on goal: 6
Corner kicks: 7
The Friars welcome DePaul on Saturday, Sept. 16 for the first BIG EAST match-up of the season. Kick-off is at 7:00 p.m. on Chapey Field at Anderson Stadium.
For more updates on the Providence men's soccer program, follow the team on Twitter @PCFriarsMSoccer
- GO FRIARS -
Official StoreOfficial Online
Former Friar Julian Gressel ...
Former Providence College men’s soccer standout, Julian Gressel '16, was named Major League Soccer’s AT&T Rookie of the Year. The league...
Men’s Soccer Downed in...
The Providence College men’s soccer team fell to Xavier University by a score of 3-0 in the BIG EAST Quarterfinal on Nov. 4 at XU Soccer Complex.
Steeves and DePerro Collect ...
It was announced today (Nov. 3) that Mac Steeves (Needham, Mass.) and Matt DePerro (Baldwinsville, N.Y.) of the Providence College men’s soccer team...
Men’s Soccer Travels...
The Providence College men’s soccer team will face Xavier University in the BIG EAST Tournament First Round on Saturday, Nov. 4. The game is set for 7:...
Colin Miller Collects Second...
It was announced today (Nov. 2) that Providence College redshirt junior Colin Miller (Bel Air, Md.) was named BIG EAST Goalkeeper of the Week for the second ...
Men's Soccer Draws In...
The Providence College men’s soccer team tied St. John’s (0-0) on Wednesday, Nov 1. in Providence, R.I.
Men’s Soccer Wraps Up ...
The Providence College men’s soccer team welcomes St. John’s for a crucial BIG EAST matchup on Senior Night. The game is set for 7:00 p.m. on Nov...
Colin Miller Named BIG EAST ...
It was announced today (Oct. 30) that Providence College redshirt junior Colin Miller (Bel Air, Md.) earned BIG EAST Goalkeeper of the Week.