Men's Lacrosse Defeats High Point In Dominant Fashion, 17-8

March 11, 2017

Final Stats

PROVIDENCE, R.I. - The Providence College men's lacrosse team defeated High Point University, 17-8, on Saturday, March 11 in Providence, R.I. The Friars improved 4-2 on the season and concluded a three game home game stretch. The Panthers dropped to 2-5 overall.

The Friars opened with an impressive offensive effort, outscoring High Point, 5-2, in the first quarter. Nick Hatzipetrakos (Sysosett, N.Y.) struck first at 12:52 to put the Friars on the board with an assist from David Procopio (Syracuse, N.Y.). The Friars scored again as Keenan Assaraf (Rancho Santa Fe, Calif.) netted his first tally of the season at 9:39. Dalton Sulver and Sean Harrison responded to even the score (2-2) with goals at 9:28 and 6:32, respectively.

Providence responded with three-straight goals by Sean Leahey (Cranford, N.J.), Ryan Schaffer (Plano, Texas) and Brendan Kearns (Wantagh, N.Y.) to close the quarter with a 5-2 lead.

In the second quarter, Austin Goltz (Orchard Park, N.Y.) registered the first goal of the game at 14:31 to improve the Friars' lead, 6-2. The team's remained scoreless until High Point's Jason Ashwood found an opening and slipped a tally by Tate Boyce (Matthews, N.C.) with 3:45 remaining in the half.

Hatzipetrakos responded with back-to-back goals to close the second quarter, giving him his second hat trick of the season.



Alex George (Simsbury, Conn.) opened the third quarter with an impressive unassisted goal off of the faceoff. George's goal was the first of five-straight goals to begin the quarter. Leahey, Procopio, Goltz and Hatzipetrakos all followed suit and provided the Friars with a commanding 13-3 advantage on the scoreboard.

Michael LeClair stopped the bleeding for High Point with 3:27 left on the clock in the third, as he found the back of the net, unassisted.

Kearns, however, stopped any momentum the Panthers took after LeClair's goal, as he converted his second tally of the game. Providence took a 14-4 lead into the final quarter.

High Point outscored Providence 4-3 in the fourth quarter. The Panthers opened the frame with back-to-back tallies before the Friars reeled off three-straight from Hatzipetrakos, Leahey and Assaraf. After the three-goal flurry by Providence, LeClair closed the game for High Point with a pair of goals to make the final score 17-8.

George finished the afternoon 20-25 at the face-off "X" and also picked up 14 groundballs. Hatzipetrakos totaled eight points on five goals and three assists, followed by three-points apiece from Kearns (2 goals / 1 assist), Leahey (3 goals) and Assaraf (2 goals / 1 assist).

Providence outshot High Point, 48-27, including a 34-16 edge in shots on goal. The Friars also won the groundball game, 35-21.

Boyce collected seven saves for Providence in 54 minutes of action, and allowed six goals. Michael Meeks (Annapolis, Md.) played the final six minutes in goal or PC and recorded one save.

Up Next The Friars will return to action on Saturday, March 18 in Hempstead, N.Y. at Hofstra University for a 3:00 p.m. game.


Official Store
Official Online
Tickets Here



Follow us!

Friar Athletics
Social Media