Providence Game Notes vs. ASU
FOLLOW THE FRIARS (10-7-1, 6-4-1 HEA)
Matchup: No. 11 Providence College vs. Arizona State (4-10-4)
Faceoff: 4:30 PM (Fri.) – PPG Paints Arena – Pittsburgh, Pa.
Radio: Friars All-Access ($) /WOON 1240 AM (joined in progress) | Play-by-Play: Mike Logan
Live Stats: RMUColonials.com
Matchup: No. 11 Providence College vs. Robert Morris (7-11-1, 7-7-1 AHC)/Lake Superior St. (4-12-4, 3-8-3 WCHA)
Faceoff: 4:30 PM/7:30 PM (Sat.) – PPG Paints Arena – Pittsburgh, Pa.
Radio: Friars All-Access ($) /WOON 1240 AM | Play-by-Play: Mike Logan
Live Stats: RMUColonials.com
- Providence opens the second half of the 2017-18 campaign at the Three Rivers Classic at PPG Paints Arena, home the NHL’s Pittsburgh Penguins.
- The Friars were just one of two Hockey East programs to win at least 10 games before the holiday break.
- Newcomer Davis Bunz joined the program during the break after spending the first half of the season with the Central Illinois Flying Aces of the USHL. Bunz, a defenseman and native of Middleton, Wis., tallied two goals and seven assists in 18 games with the Flying Aces this season.
- Friar junior forward Erik Foley now has 17 points (7-10-17) over his last 10 games and currently ranks third in the Hockey East in scoring with 21 points on 10 goals and 11 assists. He ranks second overall in the league with 14 points in conference games.
- Providence will play its first-ever game in the state of Pennsylvania on Friday.
- With 13 points in the standings, the Friars sit third overall at 6-4-1 in Hockey East play. Eight of the final 13 Hockey East games this season will come on the road.
SERIES HISTORY VS. ASU (0-0-0)
SERIES HISTORY VS. ROBERT MORRIS (0-0-0)
SERIES HISTORY VS. LAKE SUPERIOR STATE (5-1-0, .833)
- Providence and Lake Superior State will meet for the first time since Dec. 29, 2006 at the Badger Hockey Showdown in Madison, Wis., a 2-1 Friar setback. The Friars previously had claimed the first five meetings in the series.
SCOUTING THE SUN DEVILS
- The Sun Devils open the second half at 4-10-4 overall in their third Division I season. Arizona State has defeated UMass, Alabama-Huntsville, Holy Cross, and Princeton this year.
- The Sun Devils are led by sophomore Brett Gruber’s 13 points (4-9-13), followed by sophomore Tyler Busch’s 11 points (6-5-11)
- In goal, Ottawa Senators draft pick Joey Daccord has posted a 3.26 GAA and .911 save percentage in starting all 17 games for the Sun Devils.
- Head Coach Greg Powers is in his third Division I season at the helm of Arizona State, posting a 17-51-7 career record in two-plus seasons.
FOLEY TABBED HOCKEY EAST PLAYER OF THE MONTH
Foley’s performance in November earned himself Hockey East Player of the Month accolades for the first time in his career. It was the first time a Friar had earned the monthly recognition since Trevor Mingoia for January 2016.
Providence has recorded at least nine wins before the winter break in four of the last five seasons.
TWO GAMES TO BE AIRED BY NBC SPORTS BOSTON
Providence’s games against RIT (Dec. 9) and UConn (Jan. 20) will be aired live on NBC Sports Boston.
Drew Brown’S GOFUNDME
Drew Brown’s GoFundMe page has raised over $62,000 thus far. People interested in donating can do so at https://www.gofundme.com/dropping-the-mitts-for-drew-brown
BRYSON, DESHARNAIS EARN THE “A”
Sophomore defenseman and recent Buffalo Sabres draft pick Jacob Bryson will now don the “A” on his sweater going forward for the Friars. Junior Vincent Desharnais, a 2016 draft pick of the Edmonton Oilers, will also wear an “A” on his jersey going forward.
EVERYONE CHIPPING IN
Nineteen players have recorded at least one point in the first 18 games this season for the Friars.
A PK RUN
Overall this season, Providence has killed off 74-of-85 opposing power play opportunities this year (.871), which is tied for eighth nationally this year.
THREE IS THE MAGIC NUMBER
The Friars are 117-11-12 all-time under Nate Leaman when scoring three or more goals in a game.
PINHO APPROACHING THE CENTURY MARK
Senior Brian Pinho sits just four points shy of the 100-point milestone for his career (33-63-96) after two goals on Dec. 8 against RIT.
The Friars are 111-5-9 all-time under Nate Leaman when holding a lead after two periods.
Following the Three Rivers Classic, the Friars will host Brown in the 32nd Mayor’s Cup on Wednesday, Jan. 3.
Official StoreOfficial Online
No. 11/10 Men's Hockey...
Josh Wilkins and Erik Foley scored goals as the No. 11/10 Providence College men’s hockey team skated to a 2-2 tie against Boston University on...
Quick Strikes Lift No. 11/10...
The Friars captured their fifth-consecutive win on Friday night against the Eagles.
No. 11/10 Men’s Hockey...
The Friars hit the road against the Eagles on Friday and at the Terriers on Saturday.
Brian Pinho Named Hockey...
The Hockey East Association announced on Monday (Jan. 8) that Providence College’s Brian Pinho (North Andover, Mass.) was named Hockey East Player of...
Björkqvist's Two Goals ...
The Friars captured their fourth-consecutive win on Saturday night against the Warriors.
No. 11 Men's Hockey...
The Friars and Warriors battle for the third and final time this season on Saturday night.
It was announced on Thursday (Jan. 4) by Boston University and Agganis Arena that the Jan. 13 game between the Providence College men’s hockey team and...
No. 11 Men's Hockey Captures...
Brian Pinho became the 52nd player in Providence College history to reach the 100-point mark for his career.