Nov. 29, 2013
Game Notes vs. Brown
PROVIDENCE, R.I. -
THE MAYOR'S CUP
On Saturday, November 30, 2013 Providence College and cross-town rival Brown University will battle in the 28th Annual Mayor's Cup at Schneider Arena.
• Last season, Providence posted a 7-0 win for its first ever shutout at Brown's Meehan Auditorium en route to claiming the 2012 Mayor's Cup.
• The Friars now hold a 15-9-3 mark in the Mayor's Cup.
FOLLOW THE FRIARS
• Television: None
• Live Streaming: Friars.com (Mike Logan)
• Live Stats: Hockeyeastonline.com
• Twitter Updates: @FriarsHockey
• The Friars will play their second consecutive non-conference game against an opponent from ECAC Hockey.
• It took the Friars 13 games to reach the 10-win plateau, marking the fastest Providence has reached 10 wins since the 1989-90 season when they also started 10-2-1.
• Sophomore goalie Jon Gillies ranks in national top-10 in goals against average (1.79, 7th), save percentage (.945, 5th), win percentage (.833, 4th) and shutouts (3, tied for 1st).
• Junior forward Ross Mauermann ranks tied for second in the nation with 12 goals, while his 20 points (12-8-20) are tied for fifth.
• The Friar offense ranks seventh in the country (3.64 goals per game) as does the Friar defense (2.00 goals against per game).
• Nick Saracino has a five-game point streak (2-3-5).
• This season marks the 93rd meeting in the storied rivalry between Rhode Island's only Div. I
college hockey teams.
• On March 27, 1927, the puck was dropped in the first meeting between the schools, when Brown defeated Providence, 3-1, at the Rhode Island Auditorium.
• Last year, the Friars posted a 7-0 win at Meehan Auditorium, led by Kevin Hart's goal and three assists as well as by Jon Gillies' 35 saves.
• It was just the second shutout in Mayor's Cup history. Providence's Tyler Sims notched the other shutout with an 8-0 win on Dec. 4, 2007. In the 2012 win, Gillies notched 35 saves, marking just the fourth time in a Mayor's Cup game that the winning goalie made 35 or more saves.
• The Bears are coming off a weekend ECAC Hockey road games at Cornell (L, 5-1 on Nov. 22) and Colgate (L, 3-1 on Nov. 23).
• Brown is in the midst of a six-game road swing that also included a loss at Quinnipiac (3-0 on Nov. 8), a win at Princeton (6-3 on Nov. 9) and a loss at New Hampshire (4-2 on Nov. 12).
• Sophomore forward Mark Naclerio leads the Bears in scoring with 12 points on five goals and seven assists.
• Naclerio's five goals are tied for the team lead with junior Matt Lorito and his seven assists are tied for the team lead with sophomore Nick Lappin.
• The Bears are 1-4-0 on the year in road games.
• In net, senior Marco DeFilippo has played five games (1-4-0), while freshman Tyler Steel has played four games (2-1-1).
• The duo has been alternating starts and DeFilippo has a 2.65 GAA and a .929 save percentage, while Steel has a 3.19 GAA and a .885 save percentage.