Providence Game Notes vs. Clarkson
FOLLOW THE FRIARS (23-11-4, 13-7-4 HEA)
Matchup: No. 7 Providence College vs. No. 9 Clarkson (23-10-6, 12-5-5 ECAC)
Faceoff: 6:30 p.m. (Fri.) – Webster Bank Arena – Bridgeport, Conn. – NCAA East Regional Semifinal
TV: ESPNU | Play-by-Play: John Buccigross, Color: Barry Melrose, Rinkside: Quint Kessenich
Live Stats: CollegeHockeyStats.net
- Providence dropped a 2-0 decision to Boston University in the Hockey East Championship Game on Saturday night at TD Garden in Boston, Mass. It was the Friars’ first Hockey East title game appearance since 2001.
- The Friars rallied from a one-goal deficit late against Northeastern on Friday night to capture a 3-2 overtime win over the Huskies. Kasper Björkqvist tied the game with 1:51 left in regulation and Brandon Duhaime sent Providence to the final with the game-winner 9:55 into the extra session.
- Providence earned its first overtime win in the Hockey East Tournament since a 4-3 win over New Hampshire in the 2005 quarterfinal round.
- The Friars earned their fifth-consecutive NCAA Tournament bid on Sunday, which is the second-longest active NCAA appearance streak in the nation. Overall, it’s the Friars’ 14th appearance in the national tournament. Providence is the No. 2 seed in the Bridgeport Regional.
- Last time in Bridgeport in 2014, the Friars earned their first NCAA win since 1991 with a 4-0 blanking of Quinnipiac in the Northeast Regional Semifinal. Providence fell to the eventual national champion, Union, 3-1 in the Northeast Regional Final.
- In 2017-18, the Friars are 4-1-4 in overtime games with two of those wins coming over Northeastern. Friday night was the first OT win in the Hockey East Semifinals for the Friars.
- Nate Leaman has posted a 5-3 NCAA Tournament record while at Providence.
- Providence is 3-4-2 this season against NCAA Tournament teams. All three wins came against Hockey East schools, Boston University and Northeastern.
- Hayden Hawkey is second among goaltenders in the NCAA Tournament field with 47 career wins. He’s also fourth in that group with 1,832 career saves.
- The fifth-consecutive season of 20-plus wins is the third-longest active streak in the nation behind Denver (17) and Minnesota State (6).
- Providence is just one of three NCAA Division I programs all-time to send its basketball and hockey teams to the NCAA Tournament in the same season for five consecutive years (Michigan, and Michigan State). The Friars are the only school to accomplish the feat in the last five seasons.
- Ben (Providence) and Zack (Air Force) Mirageas are one of six brother combinations playing in the NCAA Tournament.
SERIES HISTORY VS. CLARKSON (16-36-2, .315)
- The Friars and Golden Knights meet for the third time this season after Clarkson claimed a 4-0 decision at Cheel Arena on Oct. 21 and a 4-2 win in Belfast on Nov. 25.
- Clarkson holds a 5-4 edge all-time in the series at neutral sites.
- The Golden Knights currently ride a six-game unbeaten streak against the Friars 5-0-1.
- The Friars last defeated Clarkson on Oct. 8, 2004 at Schneider Arena by a 4-2 score.
SCOUTING THE GOLDEN KNIGHTS
- Clarkson finished 10th overall in the PairWise rankings with a 23-10-6 overall record.
- Sophomores Shelden Rempal (23-23-46) and Nico Sturm (14-23-37) pace the Clarkson attack, while Devin Brosseau (11g, 22a) and Kelly Summers (6g, 24a) have both eclipsed the 30-point mark.
- Goaltender Jake Kielly ranks fourth nationally in GAA (1.84) and eighth nationally in save percentage (.928). Kielly has stopped 46-of-48 shots in two games against Providence this year.
- Head Coach Casey Jones enters his seventh season at Clarkson and has posted a career record of 119-115-36 with the Golden Knights.
- The Friars played their longest NCAA game against league-foe Boston College in 1985. Providence prevailed in triple-overtime with a 4-3 win over the Eagles after 82:33. During that game, goalie Chris Terreri set the Frozen Four record for saves in a game with 62.
- Mike Boback holds several records for the Friars during the NCAA’s. He had the most assists in a game (3), year (6) and career (12). Additionally, he holds the most points in a game (4), year (8) and career (16).
- Providence has advanced to the Frozen Four four times in program history and holds a 2-2 record in the semifinal. The Friars lost the 1985 championship game, 2-1, to RPI and captured the program’s first National Championship with a 4-3 win over Boston University in 2015.
- The Friars have faced 17 different schools in the NCAA Tournament. They have matched up with Minnesota more times than any other post-season opponent and hold a 2-3 record against them. The last time the Friars saw the Golden Gophers in NCAA play was in 1996. Friday will mark the first matchup between the Friars and Golden Knight in NCAA Tournament play.
DREW BROWN’S GOFUNDME
Drew Brown’s GoFundMe page has raised over $63,000 thus far. People interested in donating can do so at https://www.gofundme.com/dropping-the-mitts-for-drew-brown
DUHAIME HOT AT THE RIGHT TIME
In four playoff games, sophomore Brandon Duhaime leads the Friars with five points on two goals and three assists, including the overtime winner on Friday night against Northeastern.
PINHO DOMINATES AT THE DOT
Third Team Hockey East All-Star and Best Defensive Forward Brian Pinho excelled at the faceoff dot in last night’s semifinal against Northeastern, winning 24-of-35 draws (.686). At TD Garden last weekend, Pinho won faceoffs at a .662 clip (41-62) over two games.
THREE IS THE MAGIC NUMBER
The Friars are 128-12-13 all-time under Nate Leaman when scoring three or more goals in a game.
A PK RUN
Overall this season, Providence has killed off 129-of-151 opposing power play opportunities this year (.854), which is good for seventh nationally this year.
The overtime win on March 16 vs. Northeastern was the fourth win in the extra session this season for Providence.
The last 10 Friar OT winners:
3-16-2018 3-2 Northeastern (Brandon Duhaime)
2-9-2018 3-2 Maine (Scott Conway)
1-27-2018 2-1 Northeastern (Greg Printz)
10-20-2017 6-5 @ St. Lawrence (Josh Wilkins)
2-25-2017 2-1 UMass (Garrett Gamez)
2-19-2016 3-2 Notre Dame (Trevor Mingoia)
2-5-2016 1-0 @Maine (Nick Saracino)
2-20-2015 3-2 UMass (Noel Acciari)
1-9-2015 3-2 @Brown (Shane Luke)
1-3-2015 5-4 Colorado College (Mark Jankowski)
The Friars are 119-5-10 all-time under Nate Leaman when holding a lead after two periods.
HOCKEY EAST ALL-TOURNAMENT TEAM
Friar sophomores Brandon Duhaime and Jacob Bryson were named to the Hockey East All-Tournament Team after Saturday night’s 2-0 loss against Boston University.
ONE GOAL GAMES
Providence has won each of its three playoff games by one goal and are 10-4-0 overall this season in one-goal games. In seven seasons under Nate Leaman, the Friars are 62-38-0 in one-goal games.
Should the Friars advance, they will face the winner of Notre Dame-Michigan Tech in the East Regional Final on Saturday at 6 PM on ESPNU.
For more updates on the Providence College men's hockey program, follow the team on Twitter @FriarsHockey.
Official StoreOfficial Online
Björkqvist, Hawkey Earn...
Providence College's Kasper Björkqvist (Espoo, Finland) and Hayden Hawkey (Parker, Colo.) earned two of the Hockey East's final weekly honors for the...
Providence Men's Hockey was defeated by Notre Dame, 2-1, in the NCAA East Regional Final on Saturday, March 24 in Bridgeport, Conn.
Men's Hockey Shutouts...
Friars posted their third shutout all-time in NCAA action and their first ever 1-0 shutout in NCAA Tourney action. PC has recorded five shutouts this season...
Men's Hockey Open Practice...
The Friars will take on Clarkson Friday night at 6:30 p.m. on ESPNU at Webster Bank Arena.
No. 7 Men's Hockey, No. 9...
The Friars and Golden Knights meet for the third time in 2017-18 at the NCAA East Regional in Bridgeport, Conn.
Men’s Hockey to Battle...
PROVIDENCE, R.I. – The Providence College men’s hockey team has earned an at-large bid to their program-record fifth consecutive NCAA Tournament ...
No. 9 Men's Hockey Defeated...
The Friars fell to the Terriers by a score of 2-0 on Saturday night at the TD Garden.
No. 9 Men's Hockey Advances ...
BOSTON, Mass. – Sophomore Brandon Duhaime lifted the No. 9 Providence College men's hockey team over No. 7 Northeastern in overtime of the Hockey East ...