Providence Game Notes vs. UM
FOLLOW THE FRIARS (20-9-4, 13-6-4 HEA)
Matchup: No. 7 Providence College vs. UMass (14-17-2, 8-13-2 HEA)
Faceoff: 7 PM (Sat.) -- Mullins Center -- Amherst, Mass.
Video: UMassAthletics.com ($)
Radio: WOON 1240 AM | Friars All-Access ($) | Play-by-Play: Mike Logan
Live Stats: UMassAthletics.com
- Erik Foley's second goal of the weekend broke a 1-1 tie with 2:01 remaining as the Friars captured a 3-1 win at the Tsongas Center.
- Kasper Björkqvist and Josh Wilkins both recorded their 13th goals of the season.
- The Friars swept the River Hawks for the second-consecutive season and earned their second weekend sweep over the same opponent this season (Miami).
- Jacob Bryson became the first Providence defenseman since Stephen Wood in 2002-03 to record 20 assists in a season. Bryson is the second Hockey East defenseman this season to reach the 20-assist mark. He also ranks fifth among NCAA defensemen with a +17 rating.
- With the win, Providence clinched home ice advantage in the Hockey East Quarterfinals and can finish no lower than the No. 3 seed in the Hockey East Tournament.
- The win also marked the fifth-consecutive season of at least 20 wins for the Friars, setting a program record.
- The Friars remain in second place in the Hockey East standings, two points behind first place Boston College with one game remaining. Providence needs a win over UMass on Saturday, Maine to sweep Boston College and Northeastern to finish with no more than three points this weekend to earn a share of the Hockey East regular season title.
- Entering the weekend, Providence and Minnesota State are the first two programs in the NCAA to reach 20-wins in each of the last five seasons.
- Foley has matched his totals from 2016-17 with 15 goals and 19 assists. Brian Pinho has matched his career-high mark in goals with 12, while Josh Wilkins has posted back-to-back 13-goal seasons with the Friars.
- Hayden Hawkey has posted a 1.99 GAA and .923 save percentage in Hockey East games this season, good for second and third respectively among Hockey East goaltenders.
SERIES NOTES -- UMASS (47-24-6, .649)
- The teams have split the two previous meetings this season, with the home team claiming both match-ups. The Minutemen grabbed a 5-2 win in Amherst on Nov. 9 before the Friars followed up with a 7-2 win on Nov. 11, honoring former Friar Drew Brown who had passed away early that morning.
- The Friars are 16-13-5 all-time at the Mullins Center, with both losses in the last 15 games coming in Amherst (Feb. 21, 2015 & Nov. 9, 2017).
- Overall, Providence has won 13 of the last 15 meetings between the two schools.
SCOUTING THE MINUTEMEN
- UMass snapped UConn' seven-game unbeaten streak on Thursday night with a 3-2 win at the XL Center in Hartford. Freshman Cale Makar scored the game-winner with 1:08 remaining in regulation, just 12 seconds after the Huskies tied the game.
- The Minutemen have taken points in four of their last five games to move up to eighth place in the Hockey East standings, currently in position for home ice in the opening round of the Hockey East Tournament.
- The top-five scorers for UMass are all freshmen - John Leonard (10-13-23), Oliver Chau (8-14-22), Mitchell Chaffee (12-9-21), Mario Ferraro (3-17-20), and Cale Makar (4-14-18).
- Freshman Matt Murray has started the last five games in goal for the Minutemen. This season he has posted a 2.85 GAA, .908 save percentage and 7-11-2 record.
- In his second season, Head Coach Greg Carvel has posted a 19-46-4 record with UMass.
DREW BROWN'S GOFUNDME
Drew Brown's GoFundMe page has raised over $63,000 thus far. People interested in donating can do so at https://www.gofundme.com/dropping-the-mitts-for-drew-brown
BRYSON, DESHARNAIS EARN THE "A"
Sophomore defenseman and recent Buffalo Sabres draft pick Jacob Bryson will now don the "A" on his sweater going forward for the Friars. Junior Vincent Desharnais, a 2016 draft pick of the Edmonton Oilers, will also wear an "A" on his jersey going forward.
FOLEY, PINHO NOMINATED FOR THE HOBEY BAKER AWARD
Friar forwards Erik Foley and Brian Pinho were nominated for the prestigious Hobey Baker Award. Votes can be cast at VoteForHobey.com. The duo was also named as two of 16 semifinalists for the Walter Brown Award, presented to the best American-born college hockey player in New England.
A PK RUN
Overall this season, Providence has killed off 121-of-140 opposing power play opportunities this year (.864), which is good for sixth nationally this year.
THREE IS THE MAGIC NUMBER
The Friars are 125-12-13 all-time under Nate Leaman when scoring three or more goals in a game.
The overtime win on Feb. 9 was the third win in the extra session this season for Providence.
The last 10 Friar OT winners:
2-9-2018 3-2 Maine (Scott Conway)
1-27-2018 2-1 Northeastern (Greg Printz)
10-20-2017 6-5 @ St. Lawrence (Josh Wilkins)
2-25-2017 2-1 UMass (Garrett Gamez)
2-19-2016 3-2 Notre Dame (Trevor Mingoia)
2-5-2016 1-0 @Maine (Nick Saracino)
2-20-2015 3-2 UMass (Noel Acciari)
1-9-2015 3-2 @Brown (Shane Luke)
1-3-2015 5-4 Colorado College (Mark Jankowski)
10-11-2014 2-1 @Ohio State (Brian Pinho)
The Friars are 118-5-10 all-time under Nate Leaman when holding a lead after two periods.
After securing an opening round bye, Providence will host a best-of-three Hockey East Quarterfinal series from March 9-11 against an opponent to be determined.
Official StoreOfficial Online
Men’s Hockey to Battle...
PROVIDENCE, R.I. – The Providence College men’s hockey team has earned an at-large bid to their program-record fifth consecutive NCAA Tournament ...
No. 9 Men's Hockey Defeated...
The Friars fell to the Terriers by a score of 2-0 on Saturday night at the TD Garden.
No. 9 Men's Hockey Advances ...
BOSTON, Mass. – Sophomore Brandon Duhaime lifted the No. 9 Providence College men's hockey team over No. 7 Northeastern in overtime of the Hockey East ...
No. 9 Men's Hockey Game...
The Friars and Huskies meet for the first time in the postseason since 1994.
Men’s Hockey Quartet...
The Hockey East Association announced its annual season-ending awards and all-star teams on Wednesday (March 14).
Josh Wilkins Named Hockey...
Wilkins recorded both game-winning goals in the Friars’ two-game sweep over Maine last weekend.
No. 9/10 Men’s Hockey ...
The Friars have advanced to the TD Garden in five of the last seven seasons.
Wilkins’ Late Goal...
The No. 9/10 Providence College men’s hockey team defeated the University of Maine Black Bears, 4-3, in Game One of the Hockey East Quarterfinals on...