FOLLOW THE FRIARS (17-9-4, 10-6-4 HEA)
Matchup: No. 9/10 Providence College vs. Maine (15-10-4, 9-7-3 HEA)
Faceoff: 7:15 PM (Fri.) - Schneider Arena - Providence, R.I.
TV: NESN Plus | Play-by-Play: Mike Logan, Color: Sonny Watrous
Video: NESNGo.com | NESN Go App (cable or satellite credentials required)
Live Stats: GameTracker
- The Friars salvaged a 2-2 tie last Friday at Vermont after trailing 2-0 in the third period, but the Catamounts rallied for a 4-3 win on Saturday to claim the season series.
- Saturday marked just the second time this season that Providence didn't earn a point when scoring at least three goals.
- Sophomore defenseman Jacob Bryson recorded his first career multi-goal game on Saturday and moved within one point of Hockey East lead in defenseman scoring. Bryson now has three goals and 18 assists this season.
- Scott Conway registered three point last weekend on two goals and an assist. He has now hit 10 goals for the second-consecutive season at Providence. He now has four goals in his last four games.
- Providence's six-game unbeaten streak at Gutterson Fieldhouse was ended on Saturday night.
- Ryan Tait scored twice and Brian Pinho added a goal in Providence's 3-0 shutout of Maine back on Nov. 24 at the 2017 Friendship Four in Belfast, Northern Ireland.
- During the Friars' 15-game unbeaten streak over Maine (14-0-1), they have out-scored the Black Bears by a 52-25 margin during that streak.
- Graduate student Tommy Davis leads all Hockey East players with a +16 rating and ranks fifth nationally in that category.
- Providence's 9-1-2 record in Friday games ranks third nationally and first the Hockey East.
- Brian Pinho leads all active Friars with three goals and five assists in seven career games against Maine. Erik Foley has totaled three goals and four assists in five career games against the Black Bears.
- Hayden Hawkey is 3-0-0 with a 1.67 GAA, .938 save percentage, and one shutout in three career starts against the Black Bears.
SERIES HISTORY VS. MAINE (51-64-7, .447)
- Providence and Maine meet for the 123rd time on Friday night.
- The Friars are 29-25-3 all-time at Schneider Arena against the Black Bears.
- The teams battled on Nov. 24 in the first game of the 2017 Friendship Four, with the Friars claiming a 3-0 win.
- Providence carries a 15-game unbeaten streak against Maine dating back to the 2011-12 season (14-0-1). Overall, the Friars have won 11-consecutive games in the series.
SCOUTING THE BLACK BEARS
- Maine (15-10-4, 9-7-3 HEA) enter the weekend coming off a split of a two-game home series vs. Merrimack last weekend. Both teams claimed overtime victories in the series last weekend.
- The Black Bears are led by Chase Pearson (6-20-26), Mitchell Fossier (9-16-25), and Eduards Tralmaks (9-12-21). Junior Brendan Robbins leads the team with 10 goals.
- In goal, Boston Bruins prospect Jeremy Swayman is 12-6-3 with a 2.52 GAA and .926 save percentage this season. Swayman has started in nine-consecutive games for the Black Bears.
- Head Coach Red Gendron, in his fifth season at the helm of the Black Bears, has posted a 64-92-21 record.
DREW BROWN'S GOFUNDME
Drew Brown's GoFundMe page has raised over $63,000 thus far. People interested in donating can do so at https://www.gofundme.com/dropping-the-mitts-for-drew-brown
TWO GAMES TO BE AIRED BY NESN PLUS
Providence's games against Maine (Feb. 9) and UMass Lowell (Feb. 16) will be aired live on NESN Plus.
SENIORS TO BE HONORED ON FRIDAY NIGHT
Five Providence seniors will be recognized on Friday night for their contributions to the program - Jake Beaton (East Falmouth, Mass.), Alex Cromwell (McKinney, Texas), Truman Reed (Anchorage, Alaska), Robbie Hennessey (Garnet Valley, Pa.), and Brian Pinho (North Andover, Mass.) will be honored.
BRYSON, DESHARNAIS EARN THE "A"
Sophomore defenseman and recent Buffalo Sabres draft pick Jacob Bryson will now don the "A" on his sweater going forward for the Friars. Junior Vincent Desharnais, a 2016 draft pick of the Edmonton Oilers, will also wear an "A" on his jersey going forward.
FOLEY, PINHO NOMINATED FOR THE HOBEY BAKER AWARD
Friar forwards Erik Foley and Brian Pinho were nominated for the prestigious Hobey Baker Award. Votes can be cast at VoteForHobey.com. The duo was also named as two of 16 semifinalists for the Walter Brown Award, presented to the best American-born college hockey player in New England.
THREE IS THE MAGIC NUMBER
The Friars are 122-12-13 all-time under Nate Leaman when scoring three or more goals in a game.
The overtime win on on Jan. 27 vs. Northeastern was the second win in the extra session this season for Providence.
The last 10 Friar OT winners:
1-27-2018 2-1 Northeastern (Greg Printz)
10-20-2017 6-5 @ St. Lawrence (Josh Wilkins)
2-25-2017 2-1 UMass (Garrett Gamez)
2-19-2016 3-2 Notre Dame (Trevor Mingoia)
2-5-2016 1-0 @Maine (Nick Saracino)
2-20-2015 3-2 UMass (Noel Acciari)
1-9-2015 3-2 @Brown (Shane Luke)
1-3-2015 5-4 Colorado College (Mark Jankowski)
10-11-2014 2-1 @Ohio State (Brian Pinho)
10-25-2013 3-2 Miami (Niko Rufo)
The Friars are 117-5-10 all-time under Nate Leaman when holding a lead after two periods.
Providence will face UMass Lowell in a key Hockey East home-and-home series beginning next Friday (Feb. 16) at Schneider Arena.
For more updates on the Providence College men's hockey program, follow the team on Twitter @FriarsHockey.
Official StoreOfficial Online
Erik Foley Signs Entry Level...
Providence College junior forward Erik Foley (Mansfield, Mass.) has decided to forgo his senior season and has agreed to terms on a three-year entry level...
Three Men's Hockey Players...
The New England Hockey Writers Association announced on Wednesday (March 28) that Providence College's Jacob Bryson (London, Ontario) and Hayden Hawkey (Park...
Björkqvist, Hawkey Earn...
Providence College's Kasper Björkqvist (Espoo, Finland) and Hayden Hawkey (Parker, Colo.) earned two of the Hockey East's final weekly honors for the...
Providence Men's Hockey was defeated by Notre Dame, 2-1, in the NCAA East Regional Final on Saturday, March 24 in Bridgeport, Conn.
Men's Hockey Shutouts...
Friars posted their third shutout all-time in NCAA action and their first ever 1-0 shutout in NCAA Tourney action. PC has recorded five shutouts this season...
Men's Hockey Open Practice...
The Friars will take on Clarkson Friday night at 6:30 p.m. on ESPNU at Webster Bank Arena.
No. 7 Men's Hockey, No. 9...
The Friars and Golden Knights meet for the third time in 2017-18 at the NCAA East Regional in Bridgeport, Conn.
Men’s Hockey to Battle...
PROVIDENCE, R.I. – The Providence College men’s hockey team has earned an at-large bid to their program-record fifth consecutive NCAA Tournament ...