Providence Game Notes vs. BC
FOLLOW THE FRIARS (14-7-1, 7-4-1 HEA)
Matchup: No. 11/10 Providence College vs. No. 16/RV Boston College (10-8-3, 10-3-0 HEA)
Faceoff: 7 PM (Fri.) – Conte Forum – Chestnut Hill, Mass.
Video: ESPN3 | TSN GO (Canada)
Radio: WOON 1240 AM | Friars All-Access ($) | Play-by-Play: Mike Logan
Live Stats: BCEagles.com
Matchup: No. 11/10 Providence College vs. Boston University (8-11-1, 6-7-1 HEA)
Faceoff: 5 PM (Sat.) – Agganis Arena – Boston, Mass.
Radio: Friars All-Access ($) | Play-by-Play: Mike Logan
Live Stats: GoTerriers.com
- Providence rallied from a 2-1 deficit late in the second period to capture a 5-2 win over Merrimack on Saturday night to improve to 7-4-1 in Hockey East play.
- Kasper Björkqvist notched his second-career multi-goal game against the Warriors on Saturday. The sophomore now has two game-winning goals in his last three games.
- Providence currently rides a season-high four-game winning streak.
- The Friars have surrendered just three goals in four games in the second half of the season, out-scoring opponents by an 18-3 margin over that span.
- Greg Printz extended his career-long point streak to four games with an assist on Björkqvist’s second goal of the night at 18:25 of the third period. (2-2-4).
- Brandon Duhaime currently rides a career-long four-game point streak (1-5-6) and has recorded two points in each of his last two contests.
- Brian Pinho has registered eight points (3-5-8) in four games since the start of the second half and earned his first-ever Hockey East Player of the Week recognition after a five-point performance last week.
- Erik Foley notched his team-leading 12th marker of the season. Since Nov. 1, Foley is tied for the NCAA scoring lead with 22 points (9-13-22) over that span. Foley and Pinho (8-10-18) rank first and second in Hockey East in scoring since Nov. 1.
- The Friars concluded the season series with Merrimack at 2-0-1.
SERIES HISTORY VS. BOSTON COLLEGE (49-114-14, .316)
- Providence and Boston College have split their two meetings that have taken place at Schneider Arena this season, a 4-3 overtime loss on Oct. 15 and a 2-1 win on Oct. 27.
- The Friars snapped a five-game winless streak against the Eagles on Oct. 27.
- All-time, the Friars are 20-65-3 on the road at Boston College.
SCOUTING THE EAGLES
- The Eagles enter Friday’s contest after going 0-1-1 at the Ice Vegas Invitational last weekend, falling to Michigan Tech, 4-3, and tying Northern Michigan, 3-3. BC finished its non-conference slate at 0-8-3.
- Julius Mattila leads the Eagles with 18 points (6-12-18), while David Cotton follows up with 16 points (5-11-16).
- In goal, Joe Woll returns from his World Juniors appearance with the U.S. He has posted a 2.90 GAA and .898 save percentage. Ryan Edquist has started six games for the Eagles thus far, registering a 2.11 GAA and .927 save percentage.
- Head Coach Jerry York enters his 46th season as a Division I head coach. He has posted a career record of 1043-622-117.
SERIES HISTORY VS. BOSTON UNIVERSITY (56-108-16, .356)
- Providence and Boston University will also play the rubber-match of their three-game series this season. The Friars blanked the Terriers, 3-0, on Oct. 28 before BU returned the favor with a 2-0 win on Nov. 3 at Agganis Arena.
- All-time, the Friars are 20-59-9 on the road against the Terriers.
- Providence is 1-2-3 against Boston University since the 2015 National Championship game.
SCOUTING THE TERRIERS
- BU enters the weekend at 8-11-1 (6-7-1 HEA) after being shutout 3-0 by Maine last Saturday night in its first game of 2018.
- The Terriers had five players participate in the 2018 World Juniors - Brady Tkachuk (USA), Patrick Harper (USA), Jake Oettinger (USA), Dante Fabbro (CAN), Kasper Kotkansalo (FIN). Harper leads the Terriers with eight goals and 13 assists this season.
- Oettinger has posted a 2.91 GAA and a .903 save percentage in 18 games this season with two shutouts.
- Head Coach David Quinn enters his fifth season at BU and has posted a career record of 91-65-18 with the Terriers.
TWO GAMES TO BE AIRED BY NBC SPORTS BOSTON
Providence’s games against RIT (Dec. 9) and UConn (Jan. 20) will be aired live on NBC Sports Boston.
DREW BROWN’S GOFUNDME
Drew Brown’s GoFundMe page has raised over $63,000 thus far. People interested in donating can do so at https://www.gofundme.com/dropping-the-mitts-for-drew-brown
BRYSON, DESHARNAIS EARN THE “A”
Sophomore defenseman and recent Buffalo Sabres draft pick Jacob Bryson will now don the “A” on his sweater going forward for the Friars. Junior Vincent Desharnais, a 2016 draft pick of the Edmonton Oilers, will also wear an “A” on his jersey going forward.
EVERYONE CHIPPING IN
Twenty players have recorded at least one point in the first 22 games this season for the Friars.
A PK RUN
Overall this season, Providence has killed off 89-of-101 opposing power play opportunities this year (.881), which is good for fourth nationally this year.
THREE IS THE MAGIC NUMBER
The Friars are 120-11-12 all-time under Nate Leaman when scoring three or more goals in a game.
PINHO HITS THE CENTURY MARK
Senior Brian Pinho notched points No. 100 and 101 on Wednesday against Brown to become the 52nd Friar to reach the century mark.
The Friars are 115-5-9 all-time under Nate Leaman when holding a lead after two periods.
Providence goes up against UConn next week in a home-and-home series in Hartford on Thursday (Jan. 18) and in Providence on Saturday (Jan. 20).
Official StoreOfficial Online
Björkqvist, Hawkey Earn...
Providence College's Kasper Björkqvist (Espoo, Finland) and Hayden Hawkey (Parker, Colo.) earned two of the Hockey East's final weekly honors for the...
Providence Men's Hockey was defeated by Notre Dame, 2-1, in the NCAA East Regional Final on Saturday, March 24 in Bridgeport, Conn.
Men's Hockey Shutouts...
Friars posted their third shutout all-time in NCAA action and their first ever 1-0 shutout in NCAA Tourney action. PC has recorded five shutouts this season...
Men's Hockey Open Practice...
The Friars will take on Clarkson Friday night at 6:30 p.m. on ESPNU at Webster Bank Arena.
No. 7 Men's Hockey, No. 9...
The Friars and Golden Knights meet for the third time in 2017-18 at the NCAA East Regional in Bridgeport, Conn.
Men’s Hockey to Battle...
PROVIDENCE, R.I. – The Providence College men’s hockey team has earned an at-large bid to their program-record fifth consecutive NCAA Tournament ...
No. 9 Men's Hockey Defeated...
The Friars fell to the Terriers by a score of 2-0 on Saturday night at the TD Garden.
No. 9 Men's Hockey Advances ...
BOSTON, Mass. – Sophomore Brandon Duhaime lifted the No. 9 Providence College men's hockey team over No. 7 Northeastern in overtime of the Hockey East ...