PITTSBURGH, Pa. – Pittsburgh Penguins prospect Kasper Björkqvist scored what proved to be the game-winning power play goal late in the second period as the No. 11 Providence College men’s hockey team defeated Robert Morris, 2-1, to capture the Three Rivers Classic on Saturday night.
No. 11 Providence – 2 | Robert Morris – 1
Providence – 12-7-1 (6-4-1 HEA) | Robert Morris – 8-12-1 (7-7-1 AHC)
PPG Paints Arena – Pittsburgh, Pa.
Hayden Hawkey (PC) – 25 saves
Francis Marotte (RMU) – 28 saves
- The Friars put forth another strong opening period this weekend, out-shooting the Colonials 18-6 in the first 20 minutes of action.
- Scott Conway and Greg Printz had point-blank bids out front that were turned away to keep the game scoreless early on.
- Conway wouldn’t be denied at 13:23 as he roofed a loose puck from the top of the crease for his fifth goal of the season to put the Friars up 1-0. Printz and Brandon Duhaime assisted on Conway’s second strike of the tournament.
- Ryley Risling tied things up for the Colonials early in the second period after the Robert Morris power play expired. The goal was review but it was determined that there was no goaltender interference.
- Providence cashed in on their second power play of the night to take a 2-1 lead after 40 minutes. Kasper Björkqvist tallied his first goal since Dec. 1 and seventh overall this season to give the Friars a one-goal advantage. Brian Pinho and Jacob Bryson earned the assists on the play.
- The Friars kept the Colonials at bay in the third period on the back of Hayden Hawkey, who made 20 saves over the final 40 minutes
- With a 6-for-6 effort on the penalty kill, Providence ranks fourth nationally at 88.3% and have killed off 14 consecutive shorthanded opportunities.
- Captain Brian Pinho was named the Three Rivers Classic Most Valuable Player and to the All-Tournament Team, while teammates Scott Conway and Jacob Bryson also made the All-Tournament Team.
-Pinho now sits at 99 career points after an assist on Saturday.
- Blocked shots: Robert Morris 17, Providence 20.
HOW THEY SCORED
1-0 (PC) – 13:23/1st – EV – Scott Conway (Printz, Duhaime) – Backhand shot by Duhaime that was re-directed by Printz and Conway collects the loose puck and puts it past Marotte.
1-1 (RMU) – 3:52/2nd – Ryley Risling (Jenny, Ferguson) – One-timer off a centering feed from behind the net.
2-1 (PC) – 17:51/3rd – Kasper Björkqvist (Pinho, Bryson) – One-timer from Pinho at the left circle and Björkqvist slams the rebound through the five-hole of Marotte.
PC GAME HIGHS
Goals: Björkqvist, Conway (1)
Assists: Bryson, Duhaime, Pinho, Printz (1)
Points: Björkqvist, Bryson, Conway, Duhaime, Pinho, Printz (1)
Shots: Pinho (4)
Providence – 1/2
Robert Morris – 0/6
Providence – 30
Robert Morris – 26
The Friars will battle cross-town rival Brown on Wednesday (Jan. 3) in the 32nd installment of the Mayor’s Cup. Puck drop is slated for 7 p.m. at Schneider Arena.
For more updates on the Providence College men's hockey program, follow the team on Twitter @FriarsHockey.
Official StoreOfficial Online
Björkqvist, Hawkey Earn...
Providence College's Kasper Björkqvist (Espoo, Finland) and Hayden Hawkey (Parker, Colo.) earned two of the Hockey East's final weekly honors for the...
Providence Men's Hockey was defeated by Notre Dame, 2-1, in the NCAA East Regional Final on Saturday, March 24 in Bridgeport, Conn.
Men's Hockey Shutouts...
Friars posted their third shutout all-time in NCAA action and their first ever 1-0 shutout in NCAA Tourney action. PC has recorded five shutouts this season...
Men's Hockey Open Practice...
The Friars will take on Clarkson Friday night at 6:30 p.m. on ESPNU at Webster Bank Arena.
No. 7 Men's Hockey, No. 9...
The Friars and Golden Knights meet for the third time in 2017-18 at the NCAA East Regional in Bridgeport, Conn.
Men’s Hockey to Battle...
PROVIDENCE, R.I. – The Providence College men’s hockey team has earned an at-large bid to their program-record fifth consecutive NCAA Tournament ...
No. 9 Men's Hockey Defeated...
The Friars fell to the Terriers by a score of 2-0 on Saturday night at the TD Garden.
No. 9 Men's Hockey Advances ...
BOSTON, Mass. – Sophomore Brandon Duhaime lifted the No. 9 Providence College men's hockey team over No. 7 Northeastern in overtime of the Hockey East ...