PITTSBURGH, Pa. – Erik Foley and Josh Wilkins each registered three points as the No. 11 Providence College men’s hockey team got goals from six different players in a 6-0 win over Arizona State on Friday night in the semifinals of the Three Rivers Classic.
No. 11 Providence – 6 | Arizona State – 0
Providence – 11-7-1 (6-4-1 HEA) | Arizona State – 4-11-4
PPG Paints Arena – Pittsburgh, Pa.
Hayden Hawkey (PC) – 13 saves; Gabe Mollot-Hill – 4 saves; Jake Beaton – 0 saves
Joey Daccord (ASU) – 37 saves
- Moments after their initial power play expired, Erik Foley extended his team lead in goals as he struck for his 11th of the season at 4:44. Bailey Conger and Vincent Desharnais earned the assists on the play.
- Josh Wilkins nearly doubled the lead for the Friars and he wired a wrist shot destined for the top right corner, but ASU’s Joey Daccord flashed the glove and snared the sophomore’s bid.
- The Friars killed off the Sun Devils’ lone power play opportunity of the period and held a 11-10 edge in shots after 20 minutes of play.
- Providence out-shot the Sun Devils by a 19-1 margin in the second period.
- The Friars added three insurance markers in the third period – Greg Printz, Josh Wilkins, and Ben Mirageas extended the Providence lead to 6-0.
- Goaltenders Gabe Mollot-Hill and Jake Beaton made appearances in the third period. Beaton’s appearance was the first of his career for the walk-on senior.
- Midseason addition Davis Bunz made his collegiate debut on Friday night, finishing with a +2 rating.
- Foley has multi-point efforts in four of his last seven games. Since returning from injury on Oct. 21, he has totaled 10 goals and 12 assists in 15 games. He moves into a tie with Northeastern’s Adam Gaudette for the Hockey East scoring lead with 24 points.
- Wilkins recorded his second three-point game of the season on Friday.
- Freshman Bailey Conger has three assists in his last two games.
- Jacob Bryson notched the eighth two-assist game of his career, assisting on the Conway and Mirageas goals.
- Blocked shots: Arizona State 25, Providence 18.
HOW THEY SCORED
1-0 (PC) – 4:44/1st – EV – Erik Foley (Conger, Desharnais) – Foley controlled a bouncing puck in the slot and fired a wrist shot under the glove of Daccord.
2-0 (PC) – 10:51/2nd – EV – Brian Pinho (Foley, Wilkins) – Centering feed from Foley to Pinho for a one-timer at the bottom of the circles.
3-0 (PC) – 18:57/2nd – EV – Scott Conway (Duhaime, Bryson) – Duhaime feed Conway diagonally through the seam and he finished off his own rebound over the blocker of Daccord.
4-0 (PC) – 8:26/3rd – EV – Greg Printz (Conger) – Conger forced a turnover and centered a pass to Printz who beat Daccord over the glove.
5-0 (PC) – 9:02/3rd – EV – Josh Wilkins (Pinho, Foley) – One-timer off a centering feed from Pinho.
6-0 (PC) – 18:23/3rd – PP – Ben Mirageas (Bryson, Wilkins) – One-timer from the point after a feed from Bryson.
PC GAME HIGHS
Goals: Conway, Foley, Mirageas, Pinho, Printz, Wilkins (1)
Assists: Bryson, Conger, Foley, Wilkins (2)
Points: Foley, Wilkins (3)
Shots: Wilkins (6)
Providence – 1/6
Arizona State – 0/3
Providence – 43
Arizona State – 17
The Friars will meet the winner of either Lake Superior State or Robert Morris tomorrow night at 7:30 p.m. in the Three Rivers Classic Championship Game.
For more updates on the Providence College men's hockey program, follow the team on Twitter @FriarsHockey.
Official StoreOfficial Online
No. 11/10 Men's Hockey...
Josh Wilkins and Erik Foley scored goals as the No. 11/10 Providence College men’s hockey team skated to a 2-2 tie against Boston University on...
Quick Strikes Lift No. 11/10...
The Friars captured their fifth-consecutive win on Friday night against the Eagles.
No. 11/10 Men’s Hockey...
The Friars hit the road against the Eagles on Friday and at the Terriers on Saturday.
Brian Pinho Named Hockey...
The Hockey East Association announced on Monday (Jan. 8) that Providence College’s Brian Pinho (North Andover, Mass.) was named Hockey East Player of...
Björkqvist's Two Goals ...
The Friars captured their fourth-consecutive win on Saturday night against the Warriors.
No. 11 Men's Hockey...
The Friars and Warriors battle for the third and final time this season on Saturday night.
It was announced on Thursday (Jan. 4) by Boston University and Agganis Arena that the Jan. 13 game between the Providence College men’s hockey team and...
No. 11 Men's Hockey Captures...
Brian Pinho became the 52nd player in Providence College history to reach the 100-point mark for his career.