DURHAM, N.H. – The No. 9 Providence College men’s hockey team was blanked at No. 13/14 New Hampshire, 1-0, on Saturday night at the Whittemore Center in Durham, N.H.
No. 9 Providence – 0 | No. 13/14 New Hampshire – 1
Providence – 9-6-1 (6-4-1 HEA) | New Hampshire – 8-5-1 (4-4-1 HEA)
Whittemore Center – Durham, N.H.
Hawkey (PC) – 25 saves
Tirone (UNH) – 24 saves
- The teams battled through an even first period, both landing eight shots on goal but the Wildcats broke through with the period’s lone goal as Richard Boyd sent a shot through traffic for his first goal of the season at the 7:12 mark.
- Scott Conway and Josh Wilkins each had a team-high two shots in the first period.
- Foley now has 14 points in his last seven games (6-8-14) after a three-point performance on Friday night.
- Each team went scoreless over two power play opportunities apiece in the second period.
- Hawkey kept the Friars within one-goal after making sparkling post-to-post saves on Shane Eiserman and Brendan van Riemsdyk late in the second period.
- Providence killed off two UNH power plays in the final 10 minutes of the game.
- The Friars put nine shots on goal in the third period but couldn’t solve Tirone, who finished the night with 24 saves.
- Brian Pinho’s six-game and Erik Foley’s seven-game point streaks were snapped on Saturday night.
- Providence’s unbeaten streak in Hockey East games was snapped at five games (4-0-1).
- The Friars were shutout for the third time this season and first time since Nov. 3 at Boston University. All three shutouts have come on the road.
HOW THEY SCORED
1-0 (UNH) – 7:012/1st – EV – Richard Boyd (Nazarian) – Wrist shot through traffic from the point.
Providence – 0/5
New Hampshire – 0/5
Providence – 24
New Hampshire – 26
The Friars conclude the first half of the regular season next weekend with a pair of home games against RIT beginning Friday night at Schneider Arena.
For more updates on the Providence College men's hockey program, follow the team on Twitter @FriarsHockey.
Official StoreOfficial Online
No. 9/10 Men's Hockey Hosts ...
The Friars and Black Bears will conclude their season series on Friday night at Schneider Arena
Erik Foley, Brian Pinho...
The Gridiron Club of Greater Boston announced on Monday (Feb. 5) that Providence College’s Erik Foley and Brian Pinho were named among a group of 16...
No. 8 Men's Hockey Edged by ...
Sophomore defenseman Jacob Bryson scored twice, but the University of Vermont scored three power play goals en route to a 4-3 win over the No. 8 Providence...
No. 8 Men's Hockey Rallies...
The Friars erased a two-goal third period deficit to earn a point on Friday night.
No. 8 Men's Hockey Heads...
The Friars head north to Burlington for a two-game series against the Catamounts this weekend.
Printz's Overtime Winner...
The freshman forward tallied the game-winning goal 2:11 into the overtime period.
No. 10 Men's Hockey Skates...
Scott Conway scored two goals and Ben Mirageas added two points as the No. 10/10 Providence College men’s hockey team skated to a 4-4 tie at No. 8/9...
No. 10 Men's Hockey, No. 8/9...
The Friars hit the road against the Huskies on Friday night before returning home Saturday.