PROVIDENCE, R.I. – Erik Foley and Vimal Sukumaran each recorded two goals as the No. 9 Providence College men’s hockey team cruised to a 5-2 win over No. 13/14 New Hampshire in a key Hockey East contest on Friday night at Schneider Arena.
No. 9 Providence – 5 | No. 13/14 New Hampshire – 2
Providence – 9-5-1 (6-3-1 HEA) | New Hampshire – 7-5-1 (3-4-1 HEA)
Schneider Arena – Providence, R.I.
Hawkey (PC) – 20 saves
Tirone (UNH) – 26 saves; Robinson – 7 saves
- The Friars jumped on the board early just 1:01 into the contest as Kasper Björkqvist notched his sixth goal of the season and first goal in five games on a coast-to-coast rush.
- Jacob Bryson recorded his team-leading 10th assist of the season on the play. He added an assist later in the night for his 11th helper of the season.
- Providence jumped out to a 5-0 lead in shots before the Wildcats outshot the Friars by a 9-4 margin to conclude the first period.
- Hayden Hawkey made multiple key saves in the first period, none better than a point-blank stop on UNH’s Jason Salvaggio.
- Foley gave the Friars a 2-1 lead just 40 seconds into the second period after intercepting a pass in the Wildcats’ zone and firing a wrister past Tirone.
- Sukumaran notched his fourth of the season after a shot that whistled over the blocker of Tirone with 40 seconds remaining in the period.
- Foley added his second of the evening on a delayed penalty 4:03 into the third period with Brandon Duhaime setting the screen in front for his team-leading ninth goal of the season.
- The Wildcats cut the deficit to 4-2 at the 11:44 mark on a strike from Marcus Vela.
- Sukumaran rounded out the scoring at 16:17 with his fifth of the season off of assists by Robbie Hennessey and Shane Kavanagh.
- Foley now has 14 points in his last seven games (6-8-14) after a three-point performance on Friday night.
- Brian Pinho extended his point streak to six games (3-5-8) with an assist on Friday.
- Providence’s unbeaten streak in Hockey East games was extended to five games (4-0-1).
- The Friars’ three-game winning streak over New Hampshire is the longest streak over the Wildcats since 1992.
- Bryson finished the night at +5, while defense partner Tommy Davis finished at +4.
HOW THEY SCORED
1-0 (PC) – 1:01/1st – EV – Kasper Björkqvist (Bryson) – Coast-to-coast rush and net drive on the backhand past Tirone.
1-1 (UNH) – 17:52/1st – EV – Brendan van Riemsdyk (Blackburn, Kelleher) – Centering feed from behind the net out front to van Riemsdyk for a one-timer.
2-1 (PC) – 0:40/2nd – EV – Erik Foley – Intercepted a pass in the UNH zone and wristed a shot inside the far post.
3-1 (PC) – 19:40/2nd – EV – Vimal Sukumaran (Foley) – Snap shot over the blocker of Tirone from the top of the circles.
4-1 (PC) – 4:03/3rd – DP – Erik Foley (Bryson, Pinho) – Whirl-around shot from the half wall through a screen.
4-2 (UNH) – 11:44/3rd – EV – Marcus Vela (Gildon, Marks) – Wrist shot from the top of the circles over the blocker of Hawkey.
5-2 (PC) – 16:17/3rd – EV – Vimal Sukumaran (Hennessey, Kavanagh) – Hennessey centered it to Sukumaran at the top of the crease and he swept a shot through the five-hole of Robinson.
PC GAME HIGHS
Goals: Foley, Sukumaran (2)
Assists: Bryson (2)
Points: Foley (3)
Shots: Conway, Foley (5)
Providence – 0/4
New Hampshire – 0/2
Providence – 38
New Hampshire – 22
The Friars and Wildcats will conclude their regular season series tomorrow night at the Whittemore Center in Durham, N.H.
For more updates on the Providence College men's hockey program, follow the team on Twitter @FriarsHockey.
Official StoreOfficial Online
Björkqvist, Hawkey Earn...
Providence College's Kasper Björkqvist (Espoo, Finland) and Hayden Hawkey (Parker, Colo.) earned two of the Hockey East's final weekly honors for the...
Providence Men's Hockey was defeated by Notre Dame, 2-1, in the NCAA East Regional Final on Saturday, March 24 in Bridgeport, Conn.
Men's Hockey Shutouts...
Friars posted their third shutout all-time in NCAA action and their first ever 1-0 shutout in NCAA Tourney action. PC has recorded five shutouts this season...
Men's Hockey Open Practice...
The Friars will take on Clarkson Friday night at 6:30 p.m. on ESPNU at Webster Bank Arena.
No. 7 Men's Hockey, No. 9...
The Friars and Golden Knights meet for the third time in 2017-18 at the NCAA East Regional in Bridgeport, Conn.
Men’s Hockey to Battle...
PROVIDENCE, R.I. – The Providence College men’s hockey team has earned an at-large bid to their program-record fifth consecutive NCAA Tournament ...
No. 9 Men's Hockey Defeated...
The Friars fell to the Terriers by a score of 2-0 on Saturday night at the TD Garden.
No. 9 Men's Hockey Advances ...
BOSTON, Mass. – Sophomore Brandon Duhaime lifted the No. 9 Providence College men's hockey team over No. 7 Northeastern in overtime of the Hockey East ...