AMHERST, Mass. – Three third period goals paced the University of Massachusetts to a 5-2 win over the No. 8/7 Providence College men’s hockey team on Thursday night at the Mullins Center in Amherst, Mass.
No. 8/7 Providence – 2 | UMass – 5
Providence – 5-4-0 (2-3-0 HEA) | UMass – 5-5-0 (2-2-0 HEA)
Mullins Center – Amherst, Mass.
Hawkey (PC) – 33 saves
Wischow (UM) – 33 saves
- The Minutemen jumped on the board early at the 3:21 as Mitchell Chaffee stuffed a shot short side that popped into the air and banked in off the back of Hayden Hawkey.
- The hosts extended their lead to 2-0 on Oliver Chau’s wrap-around goal at 7:39.
- Greg Printz nearly responded minutes later with a point-blank opportunity in front of the UMass goal, but Ryan Wischow was able to steer his bid wide.
- The Friars snapped a road shutout streak of 136:58 on Ben Mirageas’ second tally of the season on the power play to cut the UMass lead to 2-1.
- Providence held a 14-12 edge in shots after the opening 20 minutes.
- The Friars drew even at the 6:58 mark of the second period on Josh Wilkins’ third strike of the season. Scott Conway knifed his way into the slot out of the corner and fed Wilkins, who re-directed his pass over the glove of Wischow.
- Both teams were unsuccessful on three power play attempts in the second period.
- Austin Albrecht gave the Minutemen a 3-2 lead on the eventual game-winning goal off a faceoff win in the Providence zone.
- Hayden Hawkey kept the Friars within one after he robbed Mitchell Chaffee midway through the third with a sparkling glove save on a cross-crease one-timer.
- After a flurry in the UMass zone with an extra attacker didn’t yield the equalizer, the Minutemen added a pair of empty-net goals in the final minute.
- Providence’s six-game winning streak against the Minutemen was snapped on Thursday.
- The Friars are 20-for-20 on the penalty kill over the last four games.
HOW THEY SCORED
1-0 (UM) – 3:21/1st – EV – Mitchell Chaffee (Leonard) – Short side stuff that popped up into the air and banked in off the back of Hawkey.
2-0 (UM) – 7:39/1st – EV – Oliver Chau (Chaffee, Coutourier) – Wrap-around after a rebound off the end boards.
2-1 (PC) – 16:58/1st – PP – Ben Mirageas (Foley, Björkqvist) – Wrist shot from the point through a screen.
2-2 (PC) – 6:58/2nd – EV – Josh Wilkins (Conway, Davis) – Centering pass from Conway to Wilkins, who chipped it into the top right corner.
3-2 (UM) – 1:43/3rd – EV – Austin Albrecht (Mika) – Quick shot from the right hash mark off a faceoff win.
4-2 (UM) – 18:57/3rd – EN – Niko Rufo (Wischow) – Empty net goal.
5-2 (UM) – 19:41/3rd – EN – Niko Hildenbrand (McLaughlin) – Empty net goal.
Providence – 1/5
UMass – 0/5
Providence – 35
UMass – 38
Providence will face the Minutemen on Saturday to conclude the two-game home-and-home series. Faceoff is set for 7 p.m. on YurView (Cox 4 & 1004 HD). All proceeds from the night will be donated to Drew Brown as the Friars will hold “I Fight for Drew Night” on Saturday.
For more updates on the Providence College men's hockey program, follow the team on Twitter @FriarsHockey.
Official StoreOfficial Online
No. 9/10 Men's Hockey Hosts ...
The Friars and Black Bears will conclude their season series on Friday night at Schneider Arena
Erik Foley, Brian Pinho...
The Gridiron Club of Greater Boston announced on Monday (Feb. 5) that Providence College’s Erik Foley and Brian Pinho were named among a group of 16...
No. 8 Men's Hockey Edged by ...
Sophomore defenseman Jacob Bryson scored twice, but the University of Vermont scored three power play goals en route to a 4-3 win over the No. 8 Providence...
No. 8 Men's Hockey Rallies...
The Friars erased a two-goal third period deficit to earn a point on Friday night.
No. 8 Men's Hockey Heads...
The Friars head north to Burlington for a two-game series against the Catamounts this weekend.
Printz's Overtime Winner...
The freshman forward tallied the game-winning goal 2:11 into the overtime period.
No. 10 Men's Hockey Skates...
Scott Conway scored two goals and Ben Mirageas added two points as the No. 10/10 Providence College men’s hockey team skated to a 4-4 tie at No. 8/9...
No. 10 Men's Hockey, No. 8/9...
The Friars hit the road against the Huskies on Friday night before returning home Saturday.