AMHERST, Mass. – Three third period goals paced the University of Massachusetts to a 5-2 win over the No. 8/7 Providence College men’s hockey team on Thursday night at the Mullins Center in Amherst, Mass.
No. 8/7 Providence – 2 | UMass – 5
Providence – 5-4-0 (2-3-0 HEA) | UMass – 5-5-0 (2-2-0 HEA)
Mullins Center – Amherst, Mass.
Hawkey (PC) – 33 saves
Wischow (UM) – 33 saves
- The Minutemen jumped on the board early at the 3:21 as Mitchell Chaffee stuffed a shot short side that popped into the air and banked in off the back of Hayden Hawkey.
- The hosts extended their lead to 2-0 on Oliver Chau’s wrap-around goal at 7:39.
- Greg Printz nearly responded minutes later with a point-blank opportunity in front of the UMass goal, but Ryan Wischow was able to steer his bid wide.
- The Friars snapped a road shutout streak of 136:58 on Ben Mirageas’ second tally of the season on the power play to cut the UMass lead to 2-1.
- Providence held a 14-12 edge in shots after the opening 20 minutes.
- The Friars drew even at the 6:58 mark of the second period on Josh Wilkins’ third strike of the season. Scott Conway knifed his way into the slot out of the corner and fed Wilkins, who re-directed his pass over the glove of Wischow.
- Both teams were unsuccessful on three power play attempts in the second period.
- Austin Albrecht gave the Minutemen a 3-2 lead on the eventual game-winning goal off a faceoff win in the Providence zone.
- Hayden Hawkey kept the Friars within one after he robbed Mitchell Chaffee midway through the third with a sparkling glove save on a cross-crease one-timer.
- After a flurry in the UMass zone with an extra attacker didn’t yield the equalizer, the Minutemen added a pair of empty-net goals in the final minute.
- Providence’s six-game winning streak against the Minutemen was snapped on Thursday.
- The Friars are 20-for-20 on the penalty kill over the last four games.
HOW THEY SCORED
1-0 (UM) – 3:21/1st – EV – Mitchell Chaffee (Leonard) – Short side stuff that popped up into the air and banked in off the back of Hawkey.
2-0 (UM) – 7:39/1st – EV – Oliver Chau (Chaffee, Coutourier) – Wrap-around after a rebound off the end boards.
2-1 (PC) – 16:58/1st – PP – Ben Mirageas (Foley, Björkqvist) – Wrist shot from the point through a screen.
2-2 (PC) – 6:58/2nd – EV – Josh Wilkins (Conway, Davis) – Centering pass from Conway to Wilkins, who chipped it into the top right corner.
3-2 (UM) – 1:43/3rd – EV – Austin Albrecht (Mika) – Quick shot from the right hash mark off a faceoff win.
4-2 (UM) – 18:57/3rd – EN – Niko Rufo (Wischow) – Empty net goal.
5-2 (UM) – 19:41/3rd – EN – Niko Hildenbrand (McLaughlin) – Empty net goal.
Providence – 1/5
UMass – 0/5
Providence – 35
UMass – 38
Providence will face the Minutemen on Saturday to conclude the two-game home-and-home series. Faceoff is set for 7 p.m. on YurView (Cox 4 & 1004 HD). All proceeds from the night will be donated to Drew Brown as the Friars will hold “I Fight for Drew Night” on Saturday.
For more updates on the Providence College men's hockey program, follow the team on Twitter @FriarsHockey.
Official StoreOfficial Online
Erik Foley Signs Entry Level...
Providence College junior forward Erik Foley (Mansfield, Mass.) has decided to forgo his senior season and has agreed to terms on a three-year entry level...
Three Men's Hockey Players...
The New England Hockey Writers Association announced on Wednesday (March 28) that Providence College's Jacob Bryson (London, Ontario) and Hayden Hawkey (Park...
Björkqvist, Hawkey Earn...
Providence College's Kasper Björkqvist (Espoo, Finland) and Hayden Hawkey (Parker, Colo.) earned two of the Hockey East's final weekly honors for the...
Providence Men's Hockey was defeated by Notre Dame, 2-1, in the NCAA East Regional Final on Saturday, March 24 in Bridgeport, Conn.
Men's Hockey Shutouts...
Friars posted their third shutout all-time in NCAA action and their first ever 1-0 shutout in NCAA Tourney action. PC has recorded five shutouts this season...
Men's Hockey Open Practice...
The Friars will take on Clarkson Friday night at 6:30 p.m. on ESPNU at Webster Bank Arena.
No. 7 Men's Hockey, No. 9...
The Friars and Golden Knights meet for the third time in 2017-18 at the NCAA East Regional in Bridgeport, Conn.
Men’s Hockey to Battle...
PROVIDENCE, R.I. – The Providence College men’s hockey team has earned an at-large bid to their program-record fifth consecutive NCAA Tournament ...