PROVIDENCE, R.I. - Hayden Hawkey recorded his fifth career shutout as the No. 11/10 Providence College men's hockey team blanked No. 6 Boston University, 3-0, on Saturday night at Schneider Arena.
No. 11/10 Providence - 3 | No. 6/6 Boston University - 0
Providence - 5-2-0 (2-1-0 HEA) | Boston University - 3-4-1 (1-1-1 HEA)
Schneider Arena - Providence, R.I.
Hawkey (PC) - 22 saves
Oettinger (BU) - 28 saves
- After the first period, the Friars led 15-9 in shots.
- Sophomore Jake Oettinger made 15 first-period saves for the Terriers.
- Hayden Hawkey (Parker, Colo.) made nine first-period saves. His two biggest of the period came with the glove on back-to-back bids by Shane Bowers right in front of goal.
- Sophomore Vimal Sukumaran scored his second goal of the season just 1:53 into the second frame. A BU defensemen left the puck at the side of the net where Sukumaran picked it up and tucked it away for the 1-0 lead.
- The Friars took advantage of a 4-on-3 opportunity and doubled their lead at the just over midway through the second. Erik Foley (Mansfield, Mass.) received a pass from Jacob Bryson (London, Ontario) and took a wrist shot from the slot that beat Oettinger over the blocker. Josh Wilkins (Raleigh, N.C.) was credited with the secondary assist.
- Just under a minute later, as the Terriers second penalty was expiring, Providence struck again. Brandon Duhaime (Parkland, Fla.) stuffed the puck home from the goal line on the short side to make it 3-0. Sophomore Kasper Bjorkqvist (Espoo, Finland) and junior Scott Conway (Basingstoke, England) earned assists on the play.
- Hawkey finished the night with 22 saves in his first shutout of the season. The shutout was the fifth of his career.
- Hawkey stopped 45-of-46 shots he faced on the weekend.
- Providence held the fifth-ranked power play in the nation to a 0-for-5 effort on Saturday night.
- Providence shutout Boston University for the first time since Feb. 6, 2004. The Friars snapped a four-game winless streak against the Terriers (0-1-3) dating back to the 2015 National Championship game.
HOW THEY SCORED
1-0 (Providence) - 1:53/2nd - EV - Vimal Sukumaran (unassisted) - Giveaway by BU on the side of the net.
2-0 (Providence) - 11:18/2nd - PP (4x3) - Erik Foley, assisted by Jacob Bryson and Josh Wilkins - Wrist shot from the slot.
3-0 (Providence) - 12:11/2nd - EV - Brandon Duhaime, assisted by Kasper Bjorkqvist and Scott Conway - Stuffed home on the short side.
PC GAME HIGHS
Goals: Sukumaran, Foley, Duhaime (1)
Assists: Four different players (1)
Points: Seven different players (1)
Shots: Jacob Bryson (6)
Providence - 1/6
Boston University - 0/5
Providence - 31
Boston University - 22
The Friars and Terriers clash again next Friday (Nov. 3) at Agganis Arena. Puck drop is slated for 7:30 p.m.
For more updates on the Providence College men's hockey program, follow the team on Twitter @FriarsHockey.
Official StoreOfficial Online
Power Play Leads No. 8/7 Men...
The No. 8/7 Providence College men’s hockey team defeated UMass, 7-2, on Saturday night at Schneider Arena in Providence, R.I.
Providence College Mourns...
Former Providence College men’s hockey player Drew Brown ’16 passed away at home on Saturday morning (Nov. 11) at the age of 25 after a long...
No. 8/7 Men’s Hockey...
Ben Mirageas and Josh Wilkins scored for the Friars on Thursday night in Amherst.
This Week in Friars Hockey...
Kasper Björkqvist is the first player-guest of the season to talk about the team's early success.
Men's Hockey to Host "I...
The Providence College men’s hockey program will host “I Fight for Drew Brown Night” on Saturday night (Nov. 11) against UMass at Schneider...
No. 8/7 Men’s Hockey...
The Friars and Minutemen clash Thursday in Amherst and Saturday in Providence.
No. 6 Men’s Hockey...
Hayden Hawkey made a season-high 33 saves for the Friars on Friday night at Agganis Arena.
No. 6 Men's Hockey Visits No...
The Friars and Terriers will clash again on Friday at Agganis Arena in the second meeting of the season between the teams.