PROVIDENCE, R.I. – The No. 9/5 Providence College men’s hockey team dropped a 4-3 decision in overtime to No. 13 Boston College on Sunday night at Schneider Arena.
No. 9/5 Providence – 3 | No. 13 Boston College – 4
Providence – 2-1-0 (0-1-0 HEA) | Boston College – 1-1-1 (1-0-0 HEA)
Schneider Arena – Providence, R.I.
Hawkey (PC) – 21 saves
Woll (BC) – 31 saves
- The Friars put Joe Woll to the test early as Kasper Björkqvist and Scott Conway each tested the sophomore netminder from point-blank range in the early minutes of the game.
- Providence jumped out to a 1-0 lead at the 7:18 mark as Shane Kavanagh rifled a shot under the crossbar off a clean faceoff win by Jason O’Neill. The goal was the sophomore’s first of the season and fourth of his career.
- The Friars cashed in twice in the opening minutes of the second period to gain a three-goal cushion as sophomores Spenser Young and Brandon Duhaime netted their first goals of the season.
- Chase Zieky registered his first collegiate point on the Duhaime goal.
- The Eagles rallied to tie the game with three-consecutive goals by Chris Grando, Casey Fitzgerald, and Graham McPhee.
- Providence’s penalty kill remained strong in the final 10 minutes of the third, killing off two Eagles’ opportunities.
- Overall, the Friars are 16-for-17 on the penalty kill this season.
- Casey Fitzgerald notched his second goal of the game to give the Eagles the win at the 1:09 mark of overtime.
- Providence has dropped three straight to the Eagles dating back to last season.
- BC visited Schneider Arena for the first time since Jan. 9, 2016.
- The Friars have had nine different goal scorers this season.
HOW THEY SCORED
1-0 (PC) – 7:18/1st – EV – Shane Kavanagh (O’Neill) – Wrist shot under the crossbar from a faceoff win.
2-0 (PC) – 1:28/2nd – EV – Spenser Young (Kavanagh, O’Neill) – Shot from the right point through a screen.
3-0 (PC) - 5:16/2nd – EV – Brandon Duhaime (Desharnais, Zieky) – Rebound off a shot from Desharnais.
3-1 (BC) – 7:29/2nd – EV – Chris Grando (Hutsko, Rasanen) – One-timer from the bottle of the circles.
3-2 (BC) – 10:26/2nd – EV – Casey Fitzgerald (McInnis, Hutsko) – One-timer from the left circle short side on Hawkey.
3-3 (BC) – 3:47/3rd – EV – Graham McPhee (Tortora, Moore) – Re-direct off a centering pass into the top corner.
4-3 (BC) – 1:09/OT – EV – Casey Fitzgerald (Brown, McPhee) – Snap shot off the post from the top of the circles.
PC GAME HIGHS
Goals: Kavanagh, Young, Duhaime (1)
Assists: O’Neill (2)
Points: Kavanagh, O’Neill (2)
Shots: Björkqvist, Tait (4)
Providence – 0/1
Boston College – 0/3
Providence – 34 (10)
Boston College – 25 (4)
The Friars hit the road for two games in North Country against St. Lawrence (Oct. 20) and Clarkson (Oct. 21).
For more updates on the Providence College men's hockey program, follow the team on Twitter @FriarsHockey.
Official StoreOfficial Online
Erik Foley Named Hockey East...
The junior forward led all Hockey East players in scoring during the month of November.
No. 9 Men’s Hockey...
Hayden Hawkey made 25 saves for the Friars on Saturday night at the Whittemore Center.
Foley, Sukumaran Lead No. 9 ...
Erik Foley and Vimal Sukumaran each tallied a pair of goals on Friday night at Schneider Arena.
Friars, Wildcats Clash in a ...
Providence and New Hampshire open a home-and-home series Friday at Schneider Arena.
Garrett Gamez '19 to appear ...
The podcast will be recorded Live in front of an audience on campus and stream online on Thursday, November 30th at 7pm
No. 10/11 Men’s Hockey...
Erik Foley and Brandon Duhaime scored for the Friars on Saturday night at the SSE Arena.
No. 10/11 Men's Hockey...
The Friars got two goals from Ryan Tait and a 24-save shutout from Hayden Hawkey.
No. 10/11 Men’s Hockey...
The Friars will play two games as part of the 2017 Friendship Four in Belfast, Northern Ireland.