No. 9 Providence - 3 | No. 7 Northeastern - 2
Providence - 23-10-4 (13-7-4 HEA) | Northeastern - 23-9-5 (15-6-3 HEA)
TD Garden - Boston, Mass.
Hayden Hawkey (PC) - 38 saves
Cayden Primeau (NU) - 31 saves
- Vimal Sukumaran got the Friars on the board with a goal at the 8:57 mark of the opening frame. Davis Bunz took a shot from the point and Sukumaran was able to shove it past Cayden Primeau for the early 1-0 lead.
- Sukumaran's tally was his 10th of the season, while Bunz's assist marked his second of the season.
- Northeastern managed 13 first period shots, however Hayden Hawkey was there to stop all of the Huskies' first-period bids.
- Providence was able to kill off three straight penalties through the middle of the second stanza. Northeastern managed nine shots on those three attempts, but could not find a goal.
- The Friars earned their first power play of the day as Biagio Lerario went to the box for both hitting after the whistle and roughing. With two-seconds remaining on the man-advantage Dylan Sikura tied the game for the Huskies.
- Sikura's short-handed goal marks his 21st of the year and extends his point streak to three games. Adam Gaudette picked up his 30th assist of the season and is now on a ten-game scoring streak.
- Just 3:03 into the third period, Austin Goldstein gave the Huskies a 2-1 lead. His first collegiate goal came off a rebound in front. John Picking and Jeremy Davies earned the assists.
- With merely 1:51 remaining in regulation, Kasper Bjorkqvist tied the game for the Friars. Brandon Duhaime took a shot that bounced off the end boards and popped out in front. Bjorkqvist was there to roof the puck past Primeau for the late equalizer.
- At the end of regulation, Northeastern led 37-31 in shots. The Friars outshot the Huskies 15-8 in the third period.
- 9:55 into the overtime frame, Brandon Duhaime scored to end the game. Tommy Davis' shot was blocked in the slot, but Duhaime was there to pick up the loose puck and score. Scott Conway earned the secondary assist on the play.
- The Friars will make their first appearance in the title game since 2001. It is the program's fifth championship game appearance in program history.
- Providence captured its second overtime victory over the Huskies this season.
- Saturday will mark the second meeting between Boston University and Providence in the Hockey East title game, with the Terriers taking a 3-2 win in 1995.
HOW THEY SCORED
1-0 (Providence) - 8:57/1st - EV - Vimal Sukumaran (Bunz) - Bunz shot from the point, redirected in front by Sukumaran.
1-1 (Northeastern) - 18:06/2nd - SH - Dylan Sikura (Gaudette) - Wrist shot from the left circle that beat Hawkey glove side.
2-1 (Northeastern) - 3:03/3rd - EV - Austin Goldstein (Picking, Davies) - Rebound goal in front.
2-2 (Providence) - 18:09/3rd - EV - Kasper Bjorkqvist (Duhaime) - Duhaime's shot went wide and bounced off the end boards to Bjorkqvist in front.
3-2 (Providence) - 9:55/OT - EV - Brandon Duhaime (Davis, Conway) - Scramble in the slot after a blocked shot.
PC GAME HIGHS
Goals: Sukumaran, Bjorkqvist, Duhaime (1)
Assists: Bunz, Duhaime, Davis, Conway (1)
Points: Duhaime (2)
Shots: Duhaime, Wilkins (6)
Providence - 0/3
Northeastern - 0/3
Providence – 34
Northeastern – 40
The Friars will face the No. 4-seeded Boston University Terriers in the Hockey East Championship game tomorrow night (March 17). Puck drop is set for 7:00 p.m. at the TD Garden in Boston, Mass.
For more updates on the Providence College men's hockey program, follow the team on Twitter @FriarsHockey.
Official StoreOfficial Online
Björkqvist, Hawkey Earn...
Providence College's Kasper Björkqvist (Espoo, Finland) and Hayden Hawkey (Parker, Colo.) earned two of the Hockey East's final weekly honors for the...
Providence Men's Hockey was defeated by Notre Dame, 2-1, in the NCAA East Regional Final on Saturday, March 24 in Bridgeport, Conn.
Men's Hockey Shutouts...
Friars posted their third shutout all-time in NCAA action and their first ever 1-0 shutout in NCAA Tourney action. PC has recorded five shutouts this season...
Men's Hockey Open Practice...
The Friars will take on Clarkson Friday night at 6:30 p.m. on ESPNU at Webster Bank Arena.
No. 7 Men's Hockey, No. 9...
The Friars and Golden Knights meet for the third time in 2017-18 at the NCAA East Regional in Bridgeport, Conn.
Men’s Hockey to Battle...
PROVIDENCE, R.I. – The Providence College men’s hockey team has earned an at-large bid to their program-record fifth consecutive NCAA Tournament ...
No. 9 Men's Hockey Defeated...
The Friars fell to the Terriers by a score of 2-0 on Saturday night at the TD Garden.
No. 9 Men's Hockey Advances ...
BOSTON, Mass. – Sophomore Brandon Duhaime lifted the No. 9 Providence College men's hockey team over No. 7 Northeastern in overtime of the Hockey East ...