AMHERST, Mass. – The No. 7 Providence College men’s hockey team fell at UMass, 1-0, on Saturday night at the Mullins Center.
No. 7 Providence – 0 | UMass - 1
Providence – 20-10-4 (13-7-4 HEA) | UMass – 15-17-2 (9-13-2 HEA)
Mullins Center – Amherst, Mass.
Hayden Hawkey (PC) – 21 saves
Matt Murray (UM) – 31 saves
- The Minutemen grabbed an early lead just 4:57 into the first as Austin Albrecht cleaned up a rebound off a Niko Hildenbrand rush.
- The Friars came up empty on their three power play opportunities of the first period.
- Brandon Duhaime led the Friars with three shots on goal in the first period.
- A scoreless second period saw the Friars hold a 11-7 advantage in shots.
- A Davis Bunz drive from the point led to chaos in front of UMass netminder Matt Murray, but the Friars couldn’t get a handle on the loose puck in the crease.
- The Friars pushed for the equalizer in the third period, but the Minutemen were able to deny the prime scoring areas down the stretch.
- Providence finishes the regular season at 13-7-4 in Hockey East play and will be the No. 3 seed in the Hockey East Tournament. It is the sixth time in program history that Providence has finished third in the Hockey East standings.
- The Friars were shutout for the fifth time in 2017-18.
HOW THEY SCORED
1-0 (UM) – 4:57/1st – EV – Austin Albrecht (Hildenbrand) – Put-back off a rebound from a Hildenbrand net drive.
PC GAME HIGHS
Shots: Duhaime, Mirageas (4)
Providence – 0/4
UMass – 0/2
Providence – 31
UMass – 22
Up next, Providence will await their opponent for the Hockey East Quarterfinals set from March 9-11 at Schneider Arena.
For more updates on the Providence College men's hockey program, follow the team on Twitter @FriarsHockey.
Official StoreOfficial Online
Jacob Bryson Named a CCM/AHC...
It was announced by the American Hockey Coaches Association on Friday (April 6) that Providence College sophomore defenseman Jacob Bryson (London, Ont.) was ...
Brian Pinho Inks Entry-Level...
Providence College senior captain Brian Pinho (North Andover, Mass.) has signed a two-year entry-level contract with the Washington Capitals on Wednesday (Ap...
Erik Foley Signs Entry Level...
Providence College junior forward Erik Foley (Mansfield, Mass.) has decided to forgo his senior season and has agreed to terms on a three-year entry level...
Three Men's Hockey Players...
The New England Hockey Writers Association announced on Wednesday (March 28) that Providence College's Jacob Bryson (London, Ontario) and Hayden Hawkey (Park...
Björkqvist, Hawkey Earn...
Providence College's Kasper Björkqvist (Espoo, Finland) and Hayden Hawkey (Parker, Colo.) earned two of the Hockey East's final weekly honors for the...
Providence Men's Hockey was defeated by Notre Dame, 2-1, in the NCAA East Regional Final on Saturday, March 24 in Bridgeport, Conn.
Men's Hockey Shutouts...
Friars posted their third shutout all-time in NCAA action and their first ever 1-0 shutout in NCAA Tourney action. PC has recorded five shutouts this season...
Men's Hockey Open Practice...
The Friars will take on Clarkson Friday night at 6:30 p.m. on ESPNU at Webster Bank Arena.