AMHERST, Mass. – The No. 7 Providence College men’s hockey team fell at UMass, 1-0, on Saturday night at the Mullins Center.
No. 7 Providence – 0 | UMass - 1
Providence – 20-10-4 (13-7-4 HEA) | UMass – 15-17-2 (9-13-2 HEA)
Mullins Center – Amherst, Mass.
Hayden Hawkey (PC) – 21 saves
Matt Murray (UM) – 31 saves
- The Minutemen grabbed an early lead just 4:57 into the first as Austin Albrecht cleaned up a rebound off a Niko Hildenbrand rush.
- The Friars came up empty on their three power play opportunities of the first period.
- Brandon Duhaime led the Friars with three shots on goal in the first period.
- A scoreless second period saw the Friars hold a 11-7 advantage in shots.
- A Davis Bunz drive from the point led to chaos in front of UMass netminder Matt Murray, but the Friars couldn’t get a handle on the loose puck in the crease.
- The Friars pushed for the equalizer in the third period, but the Minutemen were able to deny the prime scoring areas down the stretch.
- Providence finishes the regular season at 13-7-4 in Hockey East play and will be the No. 3 seed in the Hockey East Tournament. It is the sixth time in program history that Providence has finished third in the Hockey East standings.
- The Friars were shutout for the fifth time in 2017-18.
HOW THEY SCORED
1-0 (UM) – 4:57/1st – EV – Austin Albrecht (Hildenbrand) – Put-back off a rebound from a Hildenbrand net drive.
PC GAME HIGHS
Shots: Duhaime, Mirageas (4)
Providence – 0/4
UMass – 0/2
Providence – 31
UMass – 22
Up next, Providence will await their opponent for the Hockey East Quarterfinals set from March 9-11 at Schneider Arena.
For more updates on the Providence College men's hockey program, follow the team on Twitter @FriarsHockey.
Official StoreOfficial Online
Men’s Hockey Quartet...
The Hockey East Association announced its annual season-ending awards and all-star teams on Wednesday (March 14).
Josh Wilkins Named Hockey...
Wilkins recorded both game-winning goals in the Friars’ two-game sweep over Maine last weekend.
No. 9/10 Men’s Hockey ...
The Friars have advanced to the TD Garden in five of the last seven seasons.
Wilkins’ Late Goal...
The No. 9/10 Providence College men’s hockey team defeated the University of Maine Black Bears, 4-3, in Game One of the Hockey East Quarterfinals on...
No. 9/10 Men's Hockey Hosts ...
The best-of-three series kicks off Friday night at Schneider Arena beginning at 7 p.m.
NBC Sports Boston to Air...
The Friars host the University of Maine in a best-of-three series this weekend at Schneider Arena.
Seven Friars Named to...
Seven Friars comprise the 16-member inaugural class of the Rhode Island Hockey Hall of Fame.
Men’s Hockey to Host...
Providence kicks off the postseason against the Black Bears in a best-of-three series on Friday night.