BURLINGTON, Vt. – Sophomore defenseman Jacob Bryson scored twice, but the University of Vermont scored three power play goals en route to a 4-3 win over the No. 8 Providence College men’s hockey team on Saturday night at Gutterson Fieldhouse.
No. 8 Providence – 3 | Vermont – 4
Providence – 17-9-4 (10-6-4 HEA) | Vermont – 8-15-5 (5-9-4 HEA)
Gutterson Fieldhouse – Burlington, Vt.
Hayden Hawkey (PC) – 23 saves
Stefanos Lekkas (UVM) – 30 saves
- The Friars got off and running just 3:28 into the game as Jacob Bryson notched his second goal of the season and first since Nov. 18. Bryson grabbed a loose puck that trickled out to the point and walked in to beat Lekkas. Josh Wilkins and Scott Conway’s work on a give-and-go earned them assists on the play.
- The teams combined for three goals in a span of 1:20 in the first period. Vermont tied things up shorthanded at 6:09 as Derek Lodermeier scored on his second breakaway opportunity of the weekend.
- Just 43 seconds later, Conway fired home his second goal of the weekend and 10th of the season with a power play strike assisted by Vimal Sukumaran and Spenser Young.
- Craig Puffer cashed in on Vermont’s lone power play of the weekend just 37 seconds later to tie things up at 2-2.
- Ben Mirageas nearly re-gained the lead for the Friars as he trailed the play on a 3-on-1, but Lekkas was able to fend off his attempt.
- The teams clamped down defensively in the second period until late when the Friars and Catamounts traded goals to go into the third period tied at 3-3.
- Bryson netted his second goal of the night after collecting the puck in the neutral zone and carrying to the high slot, whistling a wrist shot into the back of the net.
- Craig Puffer responded for Vermont just 2:01 later with his second power play goal of the night.
- Alex Esposito scored the eventual game-winning goal on the power play with 6:33 remaining.
- Providence’s six-game unbeaten streak at Gutterson Fieldhouse was snapped on Saturday.
- Dating back to the 2014-15 season, the Friars are 19-4-3 in the month of February.
- Bryson recorded his first career multi-goal game.
- Conway has tallied four goals over his last four games for the Friars.
- Providence drops to 5-5-4 on the road in 2017-18.
HOW THEY SCORED
1-0 (PC) – 3:28/1st – EV – Jacob Bryson (Wilkins, Conway) – Bryson grabbed a loose puck and walked in from the point to beat Lekkas under the blocker.
1-1 (UVM) – 6:09/1st – SH – Derek Lodermeier (Petruzzelli) – Shorthanded breakaway backhand under the crossbar.
2-1 (PC) – 6:52/1st – PP – Scott Conway (Sukumaran, Young) – Wrist shot from the bottom of the right circle over the glove of Lekkas.
2-2 (UVM) – 7:29/1st – PP – Craig Puffer (Colton, Darrar) – Shot through a screen from the half wall.
3-2 (PC) – 13:05/2nd – EV – Jacob Bryson – Wrist shot from the high slot past the glove of Lekkas.
3-3 (UVM) – 15:06/2nd – PP – Craig Puffer (Colton) – One-timer from the bottom of the circle that trickled over the goal line.
4-3 (PC) – 13:27/3rd – PP – Alex Esposito (Coughlin, Alvaro) – One-timer from the slot over the blocker of Hawkey.
PC GAME HIGHS
Goals: Bryson (2)
Assists: Conway, Sukumaran, Wilkins, Young (1)
Points: Bryson, Conway (2)
Shots: Pinho (5)
Providence – 1/4
Vermont – 3/5
Providence – 33
Vermont – 27
Providence returns home next Friday night (Feb. 9) to play host to the University of Maine beginning at 7:15 p.m. Friday’s game will be televised live on NESN Plus.
For more updates on the Providence College men's hockey program, follow the team on Twitter @FriarsHockey.
Official StoreOfficial Online
No. 9/10 Men's Hockey Hosts ...
The Friars and Black Bears will conclude their season series on Friday night at Schneider Arena
Erik Foley, Brian Pinho...
The Gridiron Club of Greater Boston announced on Monday (Feb. 5) that Providence College’s Erik Foley and Brian Pinho were named among a group of 16...
No. 8 Men's Hockey Edged by ...
Sophomore defenseman Jacob Bryson scored twice, but the University of Vermont scored three power play goals en route to a 4-3 win over the No. 8 Providence...
No. 8 Men's Hockey Rallies...
The Friars erased a two-goal third period deficit to earn a point on Friday night.
No. 8 Men's Hockey Heads...
The Friars head north to Burlington for a two-game series against the Catamounts this weekend.
Printz's Overtime Winner...
The freshman forward tallied the game-winning goal 2:11 into the overtime period.
No. 10 Men's Hockey Skates...
Scott Conway scored two goals and Ben Mirageas added two points as the No. 10/10 Providence College men’s hockey team skated to a 4-4 tie at No. 8/9...
No. 10 Men's Hockey, No. 8/9...
The Friars hit the road against the Huskies on Friday night before returning home Saturday.