BURLINGTON, Vt. – Kasper Bjorkqvist and Scott Conway each scored third period goals as the No. 8 Providence College men’s hockey team rallied from a two-goal deficit to earn a 2-2 at Vermont on Friday night at Gutterson Fieldhouse.
No. 8 Providence – 2 | Vermont – 2
Providence – 17-8-4 (10-5-4HEA) | Vermont – 7-15-5 (4-9-4 HEA)
Gutterson Fieldhouse – Burlington, Vt.
Hayden Hawkey (PC) – 19 saves
Stefanos Lekkas (UVM) – 44 saves
- The Friars held a 16-4 edge in shots in the opening 20 minutes of play after controlling possession through much of the period.
- Brandon Duhaime and Vimal Sukumaran each had three shots on goal in the first period.
- The Catamounts started off the second period strong and were rewarded as Derek Lodermeier finished off his own rebound off a breakaway attempts to put Vermont up 1-0.
- Providence had multiple chances against Lekkas in the second period, including a bid by Scott Conway walking right down the slot before being denied by the glove of Lekkas to keep the Friars off the board.
- Vermont extended its lead to 2-0 at 13:20 as Liam Coughlin found won a loose puck behind the Friar defense and snapped a shot upstairs.
- Providence drew within one at the 4:16 mark of the third period as Kasper Bjorkqvist jammed a rebound past Lekkas for his 12th goal of the season to make a 2-1 Vermont lead.
- The Catamounts’ Liam Coughlin took a boarding penalty at 10:58 and the Friars knotted things up just 11 seconds later on Scott Conway’s ninth goal of the season.
- The Friars out-shot Vermont by a 21-7 margin over the third period and overtime.
- Brian Pinho nearly ended things with under a minute remaining in the extra session, but his point-blank attempt narrowly went wide.
- Providence rallied from a two-goal third period deficit to force a tie for the second time this season. The Friars also tied Merrimack, 6-6, on Nov. 18 after facing a two-goal deficit.
- Bjorkqvist has points in nine of 11 games since the Christmas break and moved to second on the team in goals with 12.
- Providence is unbeaten in its last six games at Gutterson Fieldhouse (5-0-1).
- Dating back to the 2014-15 season, the Friars are 19-3-3 in the month of February.
- Freshman defenseman Ben Mirageas had a game-high seven shots on goal.
HOW THEY SCORED
1-0 (UVM) – 3:05/2nd – EV – Derek Lodermeier (O’Neil, Grant) – Lodermeier finished off his own rebound after a breakaway opportunity.
2-0 (UVM) – 13:20/2nd – EV – Liam Coughlin (Thomas) – Coughlin got behind the Providence defense and beat Hawkey high to the blocker side.
2-1 (PC) – 4:16/3rd – EV – Kasper Bjorkqvist (Foley, Pinho) – Bjorkqvist slammed a rebound off a Pinho shot past Lekkas right on the doorstep.
2-2 (PC) – 11:09/3rd – PP – Scott Conway (Duhaime, Sukumaran) – Centering pass to Duhaime in the slot and Conway finished off the rebound at the side of the net.
PC GAME HIGHS
Goals: Bjorkqvist, Conway (1)
Assists: Duhaime, Foley, Pinho, Sukumaran (1)
Points: Six players (1)
Shots: Mirageas (7)
Providence – 1/4
Vermont – 0/2
Providence – 46
Vermont – 21
Providence and Vermont conclude their two-game series on Saturday night beginning at 7:05 p.m.
For more updates on the Providence College men's hockey program, follow the team on Twitter @FriarsHockey.
Official StoreOfficial Online
No. 9/10 Men's Hockey Hosts ...
The Friars and Black Bears will conclude their season series on Friday night at Schneider Arena
Erik Foley, Brian Pinho...
The Gridiron Club of Greater Boston announced on Monday (Feb. 5) that Providence College’s Erik Foley and Brian Pinho were named among a group of 16...
No. 8 Men's Hockey Edged by ...
Sophomore defenseman Jacob Bryson scored twice, but the University of Vermont scored three power play goals en route to a 4-3 win over the No. 8 Providence...
No. 8 Men's Hockey Rallies...
The Friars erased a two-goal third period deficit to earn a point on Friday night.
No. 8 Men's Hockey Heads...
The Friars head north to Burlington for a two-game series against the Catamounts this weekend.
Printz's Overtime Winner...
The freshman forward tallied the game-winning goal 2:11 into the overtime period.
No. 10 Men's Hockey Skates...
Scott Conway scored two goals and Ben Mirageas added two points as the No. 10/10 Providence College men’s hockey team skated to a 4-4 tie at No. 8/9...
No. 10 Men's Hockey, No. 8/9...
The Friars hit the road against the Huskies on Friday night before returning home Saturday.