BURLINGTON, Vt. – Kasper Bjorkqvist and Scott Conway each scored third period goals as the No. 8 Providence College men’s hockey team rallied from a two-goal deficit to earn a 2-2 at Vermont on Friday night at Gutterson Fieldhouse.
No. 8 Providence – 2 | Vermont – 2
Providence – 17-8-4 (10-5-4HEA) | Vermont – 7-15-5 (4-9-4 HEA)
Gutterson Fieldhouse – Burlington, Vt.
Hayden Hawkey (PC) – 19 saves
Stefanos Lekkas (UVM) – 44 saves
- The Friars held a 16-4 edge in shots in the opening 20 minutes of play after controlling possession through much of the period.
- Brandon Duhaime and Vimal Sukumaran each had three shots on goal in the first period.
- The Catamounts started off the second period strong and were rewarded as Derek Lodermeier finished off his own rebound off a breakaway attempts to put Vermont up 1-0.
- Providence had multiple chances against Lekkas in the second period, including a bid by Scott Conway walking right down the slot before being denied by the glove of Lekkas to keep the Friars off the board.
- Vermont extended its lead to 2-0 at 13:20 as Liam Coughlin found won a loose puck behind the Friar defense and snapped a shot upstairs.
- Providence drew within one at the 4:16 mark of the third period as Kasper Bjorkqvist jammed a rebound past Lekkas for his 12th goal of the season to make a 2-1 Vermont lead.
- The Catamounts’ Liam Coughlin took a boarding penalty at 10:58 and the Friars knotted things up just 11 seconds later on Scott Conway’s ninth goal of the season.
- The Friars out-shot Vermont by a 21-7 margin over the third period and overtime.
- Brian Pinho nearly ended things with under a minute remaining in the extra session, but his point-blank attempt narrowly went wide.
- Providence rallied from a two-goal third period deficit to force a tie for the second time this season. The Friars also tied Merrimack, 6-6, on Nov. 18 after facing a two-goal deficit.
- Bjorkqvist has points in nine of 11 games since the Christmas break and moved to second on the team in goals with 12.
- Providence is unbeaten in its last six games at Gutterson Fieldhouse (5-0-1).
- Dating back to the 2014-15 season, the Friars are 19-3-3 in the month of February.
- Freshman defenseman Ben Mirageas had a game-high seven shots on goal.
HOW THEY SCORED
1-0 (UVM) – 3:05/2nd – EV – Derek Lodermeier (O’Neil, Grant) – Lodermeier finished off his own rebound after a breakaway opportunity.
2-0 (UVM) – 13:20/2nd – EV – Liam Coughlin (Thomas) – Coughlin got behind the Providence defense and beat Hawkey high to the blocker side.
2-1 (PC) – 4:16/3rd – EV – Kasper Bjorkqvist (Foley, Pinho) – Bjorkqvist slammed a rebound off a Pinho shot past Lekkas right on the doorstep.
2-2 (PC) – 11:09/3rd – PP – Scott Conway (Duhaime, Sukumaran) – Centering pass to Duhaime in the slot and Conway finished off the rebound at the side of the net.
PC GAME HIGHS
Goals: Bjorkqvist, Conway (1)
Assists: Duhaime, Foley, Pinho, Sukumaran (1)
Points: Six players (1)
Shots: Mirageas (7)
Providence – 1/4
Vermont – 0/2
Providence – 46
Vermont – 21
Providence and Vermont conclude their two-game series on Saturday night beginning at 7:05 p.m.
For more updates on the Providence College men's hockey program, follow the team on Twitter @FriarsHockey.
Official StoreOfficial Online
Erik Foley Signs Entry Level...
Providence College junior forward Erik Foley (Mansfield, Mass.) has decided to forgo his senior season and has agreed to terms on a three-year entry level...
Three Men's Hockey Players...
The New England Hockey Writers Association announced on Wednesday (March 28) that Providence College's Jacob Bryson (London, Ontario) and Hayden Hawkey (Park...
Björkqvist, Hawkey Earn...
Providence College's Kasper Björkqvist (Espoo, Finland) and Hayden Hawkey (Parker, Colo.) earned two of the Hockey East's final weekly honors for the...
Providence Men's Hockey was defeated by Notre Dame, 2-1, in the NCAA East Regional Final on Saturday, March 24 in Bridgeport, Conn.
Men's Hockey Shutouts...
Friars posted their third shutout all-time in NCAA action and their first ever 1-0 shutout in NCAA Tourney action. PC has recorded five shutouts this season...
Men's Hockey Open Practice...
The Friars will take on Clarkson Friday night at 6:30 p.m. on ESPNU at Webster Bank Arena.
No. 7 Men's Hockey, No. 9...
The Friars and Golden Knights meet for the third time in 2017-18 at the NCAA East Regional in Bridgeport, Conn.
Men’s Hockey to Battle...
PROVIDENCE, R.I. – The Providence College men’s hockey team has earned an at-large bid to their program-record fifth consecutive NCAA Tournament ...