DURHAM, N.H. – Bryan Lemos’ goal with 6:16 to play proved to be the game-winner as the No. 19 Providence College men’s hockey team broke a third period tie with two goals to score a 3-2 win over New Hampshire at the Whittemore Center on Saturday night. With the win, the Friars extended their winning streak to five games and earn their second straight weekend sweep of a Hockey East opponent.
No. 19 Providence – 3 | New Hampshire – 2
Providence – 14-8-4 (6-6-2 HEA) | New Hampshire – 11-11-4 (6-5-3 HEA)
Whittemore Center – Durham, N.H. (6,204)
GAME FLOW & NOTES
- The Friars continued their strong play in the first period this season, out-shooting the Wildcats by a 18-5 margin in the opening 20 minutes.
- Scott Conway, Josh Wilkins, and Anthony Florentino each recorded three shots on goal in the first period.
- Hayden Hawkey made five stops in the opening period, but none better than a point-blank bid by Tyler Kelleher on a delayed penalty to keep things at 0-0.
- Brian Pinho buried his 7th goal of the season at the 9:27 mark of the second period to put the Friars up 1-0.
- Captain Josh Monk recorded his 13th and 14th helpers of the season to rank second on the team in assists.
- Hawkey’s scoreless streak of 113:53 was ended on Tyler Kelleher’s goal at 18:16 of the second period.
- Providence held a 30-14 advantage in shots through 40 minutes of play.
- The Friars are 5-2-1 when tied going into the third period this season. Four of the last five Friar victories have come when entering the third period tied.
- Brandon Duhaime scored his first goal since Nov. 19 to give the Friars a 2-1 lead in the third period.
- Bryan Lemos gave the Friars insurance with his 4th goal of the season at 13:44.
- Shots on goal: Providence 48, UNH 23. Shot attempts: Providence 68, UNH 37.
- Shot blocks: Providence 7, UNH 13.
- The 48 shots on goal was a season-high for the Friars and the most since registering 46 vs. Clarkson on Oct. 21.
- Providence earned its first-ever two-game sweep at the Whittemore Center.
- Hawkey finished the night with 21 saves and has surrendered two or fewer goals in 13 of his last 15 outings.
HOW THEY SCORED
1-0 (PC) – 9:27/2nd – EV – Brian Pinho (Monk, Walman) – Jake Walman cut to the slot and wristed a shot that was deflected back to Josh Monk at the point. Monk fed Brian Pinho at the left wing half wall and he blasted a one-timer past Tirone.
1-1 (UNH) – 18:16/2nd – PP – Tyler Kelleher (McNicholas, Cleland) – McNicholas found Kelleher diagonally through the seam for a one-timer under the right pad of Hawkey on the power play.
2-1 (PC) – 4:50/3rd – EV – Brandon Duhaime (Sukumaran, Lemos) – Lemos corralled a loose puck and fired a shot that deflected off Sukumaran and banked into the net off of Duhaime’s skate for his 3rd tally of the season.
3-1 (PC) – 13:44/3rd – EV – Bryan Lemos (Wilkins, Monk) – Shot from the point deflected by Wilkins right to Lemos who chipped it over the glove of Tirone.
3-2 (UNH) – 19:20/3rd – EX – Patrick Grasso (Kelleher, Salvaggio) – Kelleher fed to a cutting Grasso who lifted a shot over the glove of Hawkey at the doorstep.
PC GAME HIGHS
Points: Lemos (1-1-2); Monk (0-2-2)
Goals: Pinho (1); Duhaime (1); Lemos (1)
Assists: Monk (2)
Shots: Conway (6)
Face-offs: Pinho (14/19)
New Hampshire – 1/5
Providence welcomes in the University of Maine next weekend for a doubleheader at Schneider Arena. Friday night’s game can be seen nationally on the American Sports Network (check local listings) and on NESN in New England.
Official StoreOfficial Online
Björkqvist, Hawkey Earn...
Providence College's Kasper Björkqvist (Espoo, Finland) and Hayden Hawkey (Parker, Colo.) earned two of the Hockey East's final weekly honors for the...
Providence Men's Hockey was defeated by Notre Dame, 2-1, in the NCAA East Regional Final on Saturday, March 24 in Bridgeport, Conn.
Men's Hockey Shutouts...
Friars posted their third shutout all-time in NCAA action and their first ever 1-0 shutout in NCAA Tourney action. PC has recorded five shutouts this season...
Men's Hockey Open Practice...
The Friars will take on Clarkson Friday night at 6:30 p.m. on ESPNU at Webster Bank Arena.
No. 7 Men's Hockey, No. 9...
The Friars and Golden Knights meet for the third time in 2017-18 at the NCAA East Regional in Bridgeport, Conn.
Men’s Hockey to Battle...
PROVIDENCE, R.I. – The Providence College men’s hockey team has earned an at-large bid to their program-record fifth consecutive NCAA Tournament ...
No. 9 Men's Hockey Defeated...
The Friars fell to the Terriers by a score of 2-0 on Saturday night at the TD Garden.
No. 9 Men's Hockey Advances ...
BOSTON, Mass. – Sophomore Brandon Duhaime lifted the No. 9 Providence College men's hockey team over No. 7 Northeastern in overtime of the Hockey East ...