BOSTON, Mass. – Josh Wilkins and Erik Foley scored goals as the No. 11/10 Providence College men’s hockey team skated to a 2-2 tie against Boston University on Saturday night at Agganis Arena.
No. 11/10 Providence – 2 | Boston University – 2
Providence – 15-7-2 (8-4-2 HEA) | Boston University – 9-11-2 (7-7-2 HEA)
Agganis Arena – Boston, Mass.
Hayden Hawkey (PC) – 31 saves
Jake Oettinger (BU) – 19 saves
- A scoreless opening period saw the teams even in shots at seven apiece. The Friars had their best chances during a 5-on-3 advantage for 1:03 but couldn’t break through on the scoreboard.
- Hawkey made key stops late in the period as the Terriers began to mount pressure in the Providence zone.
- After a quiet opening half of the second stanza, the teams combined for four goals over the final 10 minutes of the period. Providence got on the board at 11:32 on Josh Wilkins’ ninth tally of the season after a nice feed from Kasper Björkqvist.
- The Terriers responded with a pair of goals from Bobo Carpenter to take a 2-1 lead late in the period.
- Providence knotted things up with 1:10 to go in the second period on Erik Foley’s team-leading 13th goal of the season as he re-directed a point shot from Vincent Desharnais.
- The Friars killed off five-minute major with just over six minutes to play in regulation, surrendering just one shot on goal. Providence also killed off a penalty in overtime.
- Providence currently rides a season-high six-game unbeaten streak (5-0-1).
- The Friars have surrendered just six goals in six games in the second half of the season, out-scoring opponents by a 24-6 margin over that span.
- Brandon Duhaime, Brian Pinho, and Greg Printz all saw their point streaks come to an end on Saturday.
- Defenseman Vincent Desharnais tallied his second two-assist game of his career and has four assists in his last three games.
- Hayden Hawkey is 5-0-1 with a 1.01 GAA and .950 save percentage in six games since the holiday break. In 14 Hockey East games, Hawkey has posted a 1.95 GAA and .928 save percentage.- Foley extended his point streak to four games (2-2-4), while Wilkins scored his second goal in as many nights.
- The Friars concluded the season series with Boston University at 1-1-1.
HOW THEY SCORED
1-0 (PC) – 11:32/2nd – EV – Josh Wilkins (Björkqvist) – Give-and-go between Wilkins and Björkqvist and he finishes on the backhand past Oettinger.
1-1 (BU) – 15:02/2nd – EV – Bobo Carpenter (MacLeod, Krys) – Re-direct of a point shot from the slot.
2-1 (BU) – 16:55/2nd – EV – Bobo Carpenter – Wrist shot from the right circle over the shoulder of Hawkey.
2-2 (PC) – 18:50/2nd – EV – Erik Foley (Desharnais) – Desharnais intercepted a clearing attempt at the blue line and fired a shot on goal that was tipped by Foley.
PC GAME HIGHS
Goals: Foley, Wilkins (1)
Assists: Björkqvist, Desharnais (1)
Points: Björkqvist, Desharnais, Foley, Wilkins (1)
Shots: Foley (4)
Providence – 0/3
Boston University – 0/6
Providence – 21
Boston University – 33
The Friars conclude their three-game Hockey East road swing on Thursday (Jan. 18) at the XL Center against UConn.
For more updates on the Providence College men's hockey program, follow the team on Twitter @FriarsHockey.
Official StoreOfficial Online
Erik Foley Signs Entry Level...
Providence College junior forward Erik Foley (Mansfield, Mass.) has decided to forgo his senior season and has agreed to terms on a three-year entry level...
Three Men's Hockey Players...
The New England Hockey Writers Association announced on Wednesday (March 28) that Providence College's Jacob Bryson (London, Ontario) and Hayden Hawkey (Park...
Björkqvist, Hawkey Earn...
Providence College's Kasper Björkqvist (Espoo, Finland) and Hayden Hawkey (Parker, Colo.) earned two of the Hockey East's final weekly honors for the...
Providence Men's Hockey was defeated by Notre Dame, 2-1, in the NCAA East Regional Final on Saturday, March 24 in Bridgeport, Conn.
Men's Hockey Shutouts...
Friars posted their third shutout all-time in NCAA action and their first ever 1-0 shutout in NCAA Tourney action. PC has recorded five shutouts this season...
Men's Hockey Open Practice...
The Friars will take on Clarkson Friday night at 6:30 p.m. on ESPNU at Webster Bank Arena.
No. 7 Men's Hockey, No. 9...
The Friars and Golden Knights meet for the third time in 2017-18 at the NCAA East Regional in Bridgeport, Conn.
Men’s Hockey to Battle...
PROVIDENCE, R.I. – The Providence College men’s hockey team has earned an at-large bid to their program-record fifth consecutive NCAA Tournament ...