BOSTON, Mass. – Josh Wilkins and Erik Foley scored goals as the No. 11/10 Providence College men’s hockey team skated to a 2-2 tie against Boston University on Saturday night at Agganis Arena.
No. 11/10 Providence – 2 | Boston University – 2
Providence – 15-7-2 (8-4-2 HEA) | Boston University – 9-11-2 (7-7-2 HEA)
Agganis Arena – Boston, Mass.
Hayden Hawkey (PC) – 31 saves
Jake Oettinger (BU) – 19 saves
- A scoreless opening period saw the teams even in shots at seven apiece. The Friars had their best chances during a 5-on-3 advantage for 1:03 but couldn’t break through on the scoreboard.
- Hawkey made key stops late in the period as the Terriers began to mount pressure in the Providence zone.
- After a quiet opening half of the second stanza, the teams combined for four goals over the final 10 minutes of the period. Providence got on the board at 11:32 on Josh Wilkins’ ninth tally of the season after a nice feed from Kasper Björkqvist.
- The Terriers responded with a pair of goals from Bobo Carpenter to take a 2-1 lead late in the period.
- Providence knotted things up with 1:10 to go in the second period on Erik Foley’s team-leading 13th goal of the season as he re-directed a point shot from Vincent Desharnais.
- The Friars killed off five-minute major with just over six minutes to play in regulation, surrendering just one shot on goal. Providence also killed off a penalty in overtime.
- Providence currently rides a season-high six-game unbeaten streak (5-0-1).
- The Friars have surrendered just six goals in six games in the second half of the season, out-scoring opponents by a 24-6 margin over that span.
- Brandon Duhaime, Brian Pinho, and Greg Printz all saw their point streaks come to an end on Saturday.
- Defenseman Vincent Desharnais tallied his second two-assist game of his career and has four assists in his last three games.
- Hayden Hawkey is 5-0-1 with a 1.01 GAA and .950 save percentage in six games since the holiday break. In 14 Hockey East games, Hawkey has posted a 1.95 GAA and .928 save percentage.- Foley extended his point streak to four games (2-2-4), while Wilkins scored his second goal in as many nights.
- The Friars concluded the season series with Boston University at 1-1-1.
HOW THEY SCORED
1-0 (PC) – 11:32/2nd – EV – Josh Wilkins (Björkqvist) – Give-and-go between Wilkins and Björkqvist and he finishes on the backhand past Oettinger.
1-1 (BU) – 15:02/2nd – EV – Bobo Carpenter (MacLeod, Krys) – Re-direct of a point shot from the slot.
2-1 (BU) – 16:55/2nd – EV – Bobo Carpenter – Wrist shot from the right circle over the shoulder of Hawkey.
2-2 (PC) – 18:50/2nd – EV – Erik Foley (Desharnais) – Desharnais intercepted a clearing attempt at the blue line and fired a shot on goal that was tipped by Foley.
PC GAME HIGHS
Goals: Foley, Wilkins (1)
Assists: Björkqvist, Desharnais (1)
Points: Björkqvist, Desharnais, Foley, Wilkins (1)
Shots: Foley (4)
Providence – 0/3
Boston University – 0/6
Providence – 21
Boston University – 33
The Friars conclude their three-game Hockey East road swing on Thursday (Jan. 18) at the XL Center against UConn.
For more updates on the Providence College men's hockey program, follow the team on Twitter @FriarsHockey.
Official StoreOfficial Online
No. 9/10 Men's Hockey Hosts ...
The Friars and Black Bears will conclude their season series on Friday night at Schneider Arena
Erik Foley, Brian Pinho...
The Gridiron Club of Greater Boston announced on Monday (Feb. 5) that Providence College’s Erik Foley and Brian Pinho were named among a group of 16...
No. 8 Men's Hockey Edged by ...
Sophomore defenseman Jacob Bryson scored twice, but the University of Vermont scored three power play goals en route to a 4-3 win over the No. 8 Providence...
No. 8 Men's Hockey Rallies...
The Friars erased a two-goal third period deficit to earn a point on Friday night.
No. 8 Men's Hockey Heads...
The Friars head north to Burlington for a two-game series against the Catamounts this weekend.
Printz's Overtime Winner...
The freshman forward tallied the game-winning goal 2:11 into the overtime period.
No. 10 Men's Hockey Skates...
Scott Conway scored two goals and Ben Mirageas added two points as the No. 10/10 Providence College men’s hockey team skated to a 4-4 tie at No. 8/9...
No. 10 Men's Hockey, No. 8/9...
The Friars hit the road against the Huskies on Friday night before returning home Saturday.