PROVIDENCE, R.I. - The Providence College men's hockey team skated to a 5-0 victory over Brown University on Wednesday night (Jan. 3) at Schneider Arena in the 32nd Mayor's Cup. Ben Mirageas' three-point performance paced the Friars offensively, while Brian Pinho added two points, including his 100th career point in the win.
No. 11 Providence - 5 | Brown - 0
Providence - 13-7-1 (6-4-1 HEA) | Brown - 5-8-1 (4-6-0 ECAC)
Schneider Arena - Providence, R.I.
Hayden Hawkey (PC) - 15 saves
Gavin Nieto (BRN) - 28 saves
- Freshman Greg Printz got the Friars on the board 7:01 into the first period. Ben Mirageas' shot from the point found its way to Brandon Duhaime's stick behind the net. Duhaime fed the puck to Printz and he buried it in the top corner from in front.
- With eight seconds remaining in the first frame, Brown had a three-on-two opportunity. Quick passing allowed the Bears to get a shot off, but Hayden Hawkey was there to make a sliding save, preserving the 1-0 lead.
- At the 7:57 mark of the second period, the Friars increased their lead. Brian Pinho fed a cross-ice pass to Josh Wilkins for the one-time shot from the right circle. Ben Mirageas picked up the secondary assist on the play, which came on delayed penalty.
- Pinho's assist pushed him to 100 career points as a Friar. He is the 52nd player in Providence history to reach that milestone and the fourth player under Nate Leaman to reach the milestone (Mauermann, Saracino, Jankowski).
- In the third period, the Friars continued the trend of striking in the seventh minute. Pinho buried a goal of his own on a wrap-around at the 7:11 mark. Kasper Björkqvist and Davis Bunz notched assists on the play.
- The assist for Bunz marked his first career point in his third game for the Friars.
- With just under four minutes remaining in the game, Scott Conway added a power-play tally to make it 4-0. Duhaime found Conway through the seam at the right circle, where he was able to take a snap-shot for the goal.
- Mirageas capped off his three-point night with a goal in the final minute. He took a shot from the left point that went bar-down with 32 seconds remaining. Erik Foley and Jason O'Neill earned assists on the play.
- Hayden Hawkey made 15 saves for the Friars in his third shutout of the season. The shutout marks the seventh of his career and places him second on the program's all-time shutout list alongside Tyler Sims '08.
- Providence currently rides a season-high three-game winning streak.
- The Friars have surrendered just one goal in three games in the second half of the season.
- Greg Printz currently holds a career-long three-game point streak (2-1-3).
- Scott Conway has goals in three-consecutive contests.
- Mirageas now has three multi-point efforts in 2017-18.
- Providence notched its 50th win all-time against Brown.
HOW THEY SCORED
(PC) - 7:01/1st - EV - Greg Printz (Duhaime, Mirageas) - Duhaime feed from behind the net to Printz in front for the top-shelf goal
(PC) - 7:57/2nd - DP EX - Josh Wilkins (Pinho, Mirageas) - Cross-ice pass from Pinho, one-time shot from Wilkins
(PC) - 7:11/3rd - EV - Brian Pinho (Bjorkqvist, Bunz) - Wrap-around goal
(PC) - 16:13/3rd - PP - Scott Conway (Duhaime, Young) - Duhaime found Conway through the seam at the right circle. Snap-shot finish
(PC) - 19:28/3rd - EV - Ben Mirageas (Foley, O'Neill) - Shot from the left point
PC GAME HIGHS
Goals: Printz, Wilkins, Pinho, Conway, Mirageas (1)
Assists: Duhaime (2), Mirageas (2)
Points: Mirageas (3)
Shots: Pinho (7)
Providence - 2/4
Brown - 0/2
Providence - 33
Brown - 15
The Friars return to Hockey East play on Saturday night (Jan. 6) as they play host to Merrimack at 7 p.m.
For more updates on the Providence College men's hockey program, follow the team on Twitter @FriarsHockey.
Official StoreOfficial Online
No. 11/10 Men's Hockey...
Josh Wilkins and Erik Foley scored goals as the No. 11/10 Providence College men’s hockey team skated to a 2-2 tie against Boston University on...
Quick Strikes Lift No. 11/10...
The Friars captured their fifth-consecutive win on Friday night against the Eagles.
No. 11/10 Men’s Hockey...
The Friars hit the road against the Eagles on Friday and at the Terriers on Saturday.
Brian Pinho Named Hockey...
The Hockey East Association announced on Monday (Jan. 8) that Providence College’s Brian Pinho (North Andover, Mass.) was named Hockey East Player of...
Björkqvist's Two Goals ...
The Friars captured their fourth-consecutive win on Saturday night against the Warriors.
No. 11 Men's Hockey...
The Friars and Warriors battle for the third and final time this season on Saturday night.
It was announced on Thursday (Jan. 4) by Boston University and Agganis Arena that the Jan. 13 game between the Providence College men’s hockey team and...
No. 11 Men's Hockey Captures...
Brian Pinho became the 52nd player in Providence College history to reach the 100-point mark for his career.