PROVIDENCE, R.I. - The Providence College men's hockey team skated to a 5-0 victory over Brown University on Wednesday night (Jan. 3) at Schneider Arena in the 32nd Mayor's Cup. Ben Mirageas' three-point performance paced the Friars offensively, while Brian Pinho added two points, including his 100th career point in the win.
No. 11 Providence - 5 | Brown - 0
Providence - 13-7-1 (6-4-1 HEA) | Brown - 5-8-1 (4-6-0 ECAC)
Schneider Arena - Providence, R.I.
Hayden Hawkey (PC) - 15 saves
Gavin Nieto (BRN) - 28 saves
- Freshman Greg Printz got the Friars on the board 7:01 into the first period. Ben Mirageas' shot from the point found its way to Brandon Duhaime's stick behind the net. Duhaime fed the puck to Printz and he buried it in the top corner from in front.
- With eight seconds remaining in the first frame, Brown had a three-on-two opportunity. Quick passing allowed the Bears to get a shot off, but Hayden Hawkey was there to make a sliding save, preserving the 1-0 lead.
- At the 7:57 mark of the second period, the Friars increased their lead. Brian Pinho fed a cross-ice pass to Josh Wilkins for the one-time shot from the right circle. Ben Mirageas picked up the secondary assist on the play, which came on delayed penalty.
- Pinho's assist pushed him to 100 career points as a Friar. He is the 52nd player in Providence history to reach that milestone and the fourth player under Nate Leaman to reach the milestone (Mauermann, Saracino, Jankowski).
- In the third period, the Friars continued the trend of striking in the seventh minute. Pinho buried a goal of his own on a wrap-around at the 7:11 mark. Kasper Björkqvist and Davis Bunz notched assists on the play.
- The assist for Bunz marked his first career point in his third game for the Friars.
- With just under four minutes remaining in the game, Scott Conway added a power-play tally to make it 4-0. Duhaime found Conway through the seam at the right circle, where he was able to take a snap-shot for the goal.
- Mirageas capped off his three-point night with a goal in the final minute. He took a shot from the left point that went bar-down with 32 seconds remaining. Erik Foley and Jason O'Neill earned assists on the play.
- Hayden Hawkey made 15 saves for the Friars in his third shutout of the season. The shutout marks the seventh of his career and places him second on the program's all-time shutout list alongside Tyler Sims '08.
- Providence currently rides a season-high three-game winning streak.
- The Friars have surrendered just one goal in three games in the second half of the season.
- Greg Printz currently holds a career-long three-game point streak (2-1-3).
- Scott Conway has goals in three-consecutive contests.
- Mirageas now has three multi-point efforts in 2017-18.
- Providence notched its 50th win all-time against Brown.
HOW THEY SCORED
(PC) - 7:01/1st - EV - Greg Printz (Duhaime, Mirageas) - Duhaime feed from behind the net to Printz in front for the top-shelf goal
(PC) - 7:57/2nd - DP EX - Josh Wilkins (Pinho, Mirageas) - Cross-ice pass from Pinho, one-time shot from Wilkins
(PC) - 7:11/3rd - EV - Brian Pinho (Bjorkqvist, Bunz) - Wrap-around goal
(PC) - 16:13/3rd - PP - Scott Conway (Duhaime, Young) - Duhaime found Conway through the seam at the right circle. Snap-shot finish
(PC) - 19:28/3rd - EV - Ben Mirageas (Foley, O'Neill) - Shot from the left point
PC GAME HIGHS
Goals: Printz, Wilkins, Pinho, Conway, Mirageas (1)
Assists: Duhaime (2), Mirageas (2)
Points: Mirageas (3)
Shots: Pinho (7)
Providence - 2/4
Brown - 0/2
Providence - 33
Brown - 15
The Friars return to Hockey East play on Saturday night (Jan. 6) as they play host to Merrimack at 7 p.m.
For more updates on the Providence College men's hockey program, follow the team on Twitter @FriarsHockey.
Official StoreOfficial Online
Björkqvist, Hawkey Earn...
Providence College's Kasper Björkqvist (Espoo, Finland) and Hayden Hawkey (Parker, Colo.) earned two of the Hockey East's final weekly honors for the...
Providence Men's Hockey was defeated by Notre Dame, 2-1, in the NCAA East Regional Final on Saturday, March 24 in Bridgeport, Conn.
Men's Hockey Shutouts...
Friars posted their third shutout all-time in NCAA action and their first ever 1-0 shutout in NCAA Tourney action. PC has recorded five shutouts this season...
Men's Hockey Open Practice...
The Friars will take on Clarkson Friday night at 6:30 p.m. on ESPNU at Webster Bank Arena.
No. 7 Men's Hockey, No. 9...
The Friars and Golden Knights meet for the third time in 2017-18 at the NCAA East Regional in Bridgeport, Conn.
Men’s Hockey to Battle...
PROVIDENCE, R.I. – The Providence College men’s hockey team has earned an at-large bid to their program-record fifth consecutive NCAA Tournament ...
No. 9 Men's Hockey Defeated...
The Friars fell to the Terriers by a score of 2-0 on Saturday night at the TD Garden.
No. 9 Men's Hockey Advances ...
BOSTON, Mass. – Sophomore Brandon Duhaime lifted the No. 9 Providence College men's hockey team over No. 7 Northeastern in overtime of the Hockey East ...