In the early 1950's Father Robert J. Slavin felt in order for Providence College to be competitive in basketball, PC needed an on campus facility. Out of this belief came Alumni Hall, a $2 million auditorium with a capacity of 2,620 which became the home of the men's basketball team.
After 29 years of playing at various locations throughout Rhode Island, the PC men's basketball team played its first game in Alumni Hall on December 3, 1955, beating rival Brown University, 77-55. The next 17 seasons saw the Friars post an impressive 179-27 (.869) record in Alumni Hall. In 1972, with the popularity of the men's program and the completion of the Providence Civic Center, the Friars played their last game in Alumni Hall in March, beating St. John's, 73-65.
Alumni Hall became the practice facility for the men's team as they moved their home games to the Providence Civic Center. Two years later, in 1974, Alumni Hall opened its doors to a new team - the Providence College women's basketball team.
In addition to being the home of the Friars, Alumni Hall has hosted many tournaments, including the opening rounds of the National Invitational Tournament (NIT) and the NCAA Women's Basketball Tournament. In March, 1993, Providence hosted the 11th BIG EAST Women's Basketball Championship. It was the second time in conference history that the Tournament was held at Alumni Hall. PC was host of the inaugural championship in 1983.
In 2001, the entire playing surface was removed and replaced and a state-of-the-art scoreboard was installed. In 2003, PC replaced the existing baskets with Hydra-Rib baskets which are anchored at floor level. Additionally, the women's basketball locker room and the women's basketball offices, located in Alumni Hall, were remodeled.
In the fall of 2006, the floor was resurfaced and additional Providence College athletic marks were added to the floor, including the addition of the Friar's primary athletic logo at midcourt.