• Contact: A contact is any face-to-face encounter between a prospective student-athlete or the prospective student-athlete's parents, relatives or legal guardians and an institutional staff member or athletics representative during which any dialogue occurs in excess of an exchange of a greeting. Examples include any such face-to-face encounter that:
• Is prearranged (e.g., staff member positions himself or herself in a location where contact is possible);
• Takes place on the grounds of the prospective student-athlete's educational institution;
• Takes place at the site of organized competition;
• Takes place at an official practice involving the prospective student-athlete or the prospective student-athlete's high school, preparatory school, two-year college or all-star team, regardless of whether any conversation occurs.
However, an institutional staff member or athletics representative who is approached by a prospective student-athlete or the prospective student-athlete's parents, relatives or legal guardians at any location shall not use a contact, provided the encounter was not prearranged and the staff member or athletics representative does not engage in any dialogue in excess of a greeting and takes appropriate steps to immediately terminate the encounter.
• Evaluation: An evaluation is any off-campus activity designed to assess the academic qualifications or athletics ability of a prospective student-athlete, including any visit to a prospective student-athlete's educational institution (during which no contact occurs) or the observation of a prospective student-athlete participating in any practice or competition at any site.
Only those coaches who are counted by the institution within the numerical limitations on head and assistant coaches may contact or evaluate prospective student-athletes off campus. In addition, there is a limit of seven coaches (including the head coach) who may contact or evaluate prospective student-athletes off campus at any one time.
• Dead period: A dead period is a period of time when it is not permissible to make in-person recruiting contacts or evaluations on or off the institution's campus or to permit official or unofficial visits by prospective student-athletes to the institution's campus. The provision of complimentary admissions to a prospective student-athlete during a dead period is prohibited, except as provided in Bylaw 184.108.40.206 for a prospective student-athlete who visits an institution as part of a group. During a dead period, a coaching staff member may not serve as a speaker at or attend a meeting or banquet at which prospective student-athletes are in attendance, except as provided in Bylaw 220.127.116.11, and may not visit a prospective student-athlete's educational institution. It remains permissible, however, for an institutional staff member to write or telephone a prospective student-athlete during a dead period.
• Quiet period: A quiet period is a period of time when it is permissible to make in-person recruiting contacts only on the institution's campus. No in-person, off-campus recruiting contacts or evaluations may be made during the quiet period.
Official StoreOfficial Online
Softball's Game Versus...
The Providence College softball game versus Georgetown on Sunday, May 1, which was scheduled to begin at 12:00 p.m., has been moved to 11:00 a.m.
Softball Defeats Georgetown ...
The Providence College softball team defeated Georgetown in two games on Saturday, April 30 at Glay Field in Providence, R.I.
Men's Lacrosse Falls To No. ...
The Providence College men's lacrosse team fell to No. 17 Villanova, 14-7, in its 2016 regular-season finale on April 30 in Villanova, Pa. The Friars...
Men's and Women's Track...
The Providence College men's and women's track teams had a successful showing at the 122nd Penn Relays in Philadelphia, Pa. last night (April 28).
Softball Defeats Boston...
The Providence College softball team defeated Boston College, 7-6, on Wednesday, April 27 at Glay Field in Providence, R.I. With the win, the Friars...
Men's Lacrosse To Play No....
The Providence College men's lacrosse team (7-7) will travel to No. 17 Villanova (8-4) on Saturday, April 30 at 1:00 p.m.
Softball's Game At UConn...
The Providence College softball team's game at UConn scheduled for today (April 26) was cancelled due to inclement weather.
Will Mazzone Named To BIG...
Providence men's lacrosse senior Will Mazzone (Stony Brook, N.Y.) was named to the BIG EAST Weekly Honor Roll today (April 25).