• Contact: A contact is any face-to-face encounter between a prospective student-athlete or the prospective student-athlete's parents, relatives or legal guardians and an institutional staff member or athletics representative during which any dialogue occurs in excess of an exchange of a greeting. Examples include any such face-to-face encounter that:
• Is prearranged (e.g., staff member positions himself or herself in a location where contact is possible);
• Takes place on the grounds of the prospective student-athlete's educational institution;
• Takes place at the site of organized competition;
• Takes place at an official practice involving the prospective student-athlete or the prospective student-athlete's high school, preparatory school, two-year college or all-star team, regardless of whether any conversation occurs.
However, an institutional staff member or athletics representative who is approached by a prospective student-athlete or the prospective student-athlete's parents, relatives or legal guardians at any location shall not use a contact, provided the encounter was not prearranged and the staff member or athletics representative does not engage in any dialogue in excess of a greeting and takes appropriate steps to immediately terminate the encounter.
• Evaluation: An evaluation is any off-campus activity designed to assess the academic qualifications or athletics ability of a prospective student-athlete, including any visit to a prospective student-athlete's educational institution (during which no contact occurs) or the observation of a prospective student-athlete participating in any practice or competition at any site.
Only those coaches who are counted by the institution within the numerical limitations on head and assistant coaches may contact or evaluate prospective student-athletes off campus. In addition, there is a limit of seven coaches (including the head coach) who may contact or evaluate prospective student-athletes off campus at any one time.
• Dead period: A dead period is a period of time when it is not permissible to make in-person recruiting contacts or evaluations on or off the institution's campus or to permit official or unofficial visits by prospective student-athletes to the institution's campus. The provision of complimentary admissions to a prospective student-athlete during a dead period is prohibited, except as provided in Bylaw 220.127.116.11 for a prospective student-athlete who visits an institution as part of a group. During a dead period, a coaching staff member may not serve as a speaker at or attend a meeting or banquet at which prospective student-athletes are in attendance, except as provided in Bylaw 18.104.22.168, and may not visit a prospective student-athlete's educational institution. It remains permissible, however, for an institutional staff member to write or telephone a prospective student-athlete during a dead period.
• Quiet period: A quiet period is a period of time when it is permissible to make in-person recruiting contacts only on the institution's campus. No in-person, off-campus recruiting contacts or evaluations may be made during the quiet period.
Official StoreOfficial Online
Friars Drop 67-59 Decision...
The Providence College women's basketball team fell to Butler, 67-59, on Jan. 30 at Alumni Hall in Providence, R.I. Senior forward Alexis Harris recorded...
Women's Basketball Game...
The Providence College women's basketball team will host BIG EAST foe Butler on Friday, Jan. 30 at Alumni Hall in Providence, R.I. Tip-off is slated for 7:05...
No. 11 Men's Hockey To Play ...
The Friars close out their regular-season Hockey East series with Boston College at 7:30 p.m. on Friday, Jan. 30 at the Eagles' Kelley Rink.
Men's Basketball Defeats...
Providence College men's basketball downed DePaul, 83-72, on Thursday, Jan. 29 at the Dunkin' Donuts Center. The Friars improved to 16-5 (6-2 BIG EAST),...
Men's Basketball Game Notes ...
Women's Hockey To Host No. 1...
Providence will host Boston College in the Hockey East season series finale on Friday, Jan. 30 at Schneider Arena for a 7:00 p.m. puck drop. The Eagles...
Men's Basketball Game Vs....
PROVIDENCE, R.I. -- The Providence College men's basketball game versus DePaul has been RESCHEDULED for Thursday, January 29 at 2:00 p.m. at the Dunkin'...
Men's Hockey Moves To No. 11...
In the latest editions of the national polls released on Monday, Jan. 26, the Providence College men's hockey team was ranked No. 12 by USCHO.com and jumped ...