• Contact: A contact is any face-to-face encounter between a prospective student-athlete or the prospective student-athlete's parents, relatives or legal guardians and an institutional staff member or athletics representative during which any dialogue occurs in excess of an exchange of a greeting. Examples include any such face-to-face encounter that:
• Is prearranged (e.g., staff member positions himself or herself in a location where contact is possible);
• Takes place on the grounds of the prospective student-athlete's educational institution;
• Takes place at the site of organized competition;
• Takes place at an official practice involving the prospective student-athlete or the prospective student-athlete's high school, preparatory school, two-year college or all-star team, regardless of whether any conversation occurs.
However, an institutional staff member or athletics representative who is approached by a prospective student-athlete or the prospective student-athlete's parents, relatives or legal guardians at any location shall not use a contact, provided the encounter was not prearranged and the staff member or athletics representative does not engage in any dialogue in excess of a greeting and takes appropriate steps to immediately terminate the encounter.
• Evaluation: An evaluation is any off-campus activity designed to assess the academic qualifications or athletics ability of a prospective student-athlete, including any visit to a prospective student-athlete's educational institution (during which no contact occurs) or the observation of a prospective student-athlete participating in any practice or competition at any site.
Only those coaches who are counted by the institution within the numerical limitations on head and assistant coaches may contact or evaluate prospective student-athletes off campus. In addition, there is a limit of seven coaches (including the head coach) who may contact or evaluate prospective student-athletes off campus at any one time.
• Dead period: A dead period is a period of time when it is not permissible to make in-person recruiting contacts or evaluations on or off the institution's campus or to permit official or unofficial visits by prospective student-athletes to the institution's campus. The provision of complimentary admissions to a prospective student-athlete during a dead period is prohibited, except as provided in Bylaw 188.8.131.52 for a prospective student-athlete who visits an institution as part of a group. During a dead period, a coaching staff member may not serve as a speaker at or attend a meeting or banquet at which prospective student-athletes are in attendance, except as provided in Bylaw 184.108.40.206, and may not visit a prospective student-athlete's educational institution. It remains permissible, however, for an institutional staff member to write or telephone a prospective student-athlete during a dead period.
• Quiet period: A quiet period is a period of time when it is permissible to make in-person recruiting contacts only on the institution's campus. No in-person, off-campus recruiting contacts or evaluations may be made during the quiet period.
Official StoreOfficial Online
Swimming and Diving Teams...
The Providence College men's and women's swimming and diving teams fell to Bryant University on Friday, Oct. 24 at their first home meet of the season. The...
Women's Hockey Suffers 6-2...
The Providence College women's ice hockey team recorded a 6-2 loss against the Yale University Bulldogs on Friday, Oct. 24 at Schneider Arena. With the non-c...
Women's Cross Country Place ...
The Providence College women's cross country team finished second at the CCSU Mini Meet in New Britain, Conn. on Friday, Oct. 24.
No. 5 Men's Hockey Heads To ...
The Friars resume regular-season play with a weekend series at North Dakota, marking Providence's third and fourth-straight road games to open the regular...
Softball Releases 2015 Schedule
The Providence College softball team announced its 2015 schedule on Friday, Oct. 24.
Field Hockey Set To Host No....
The Providence College field hockey team will host 17th-ranked Old Dominion in BIG EAST Conference action on Friday, Oct. 24 at Lennon Family Field in...
LaDontae Henton Named...
It was announced today (Oct. 22) that Providence College senior forward LaDontae Henton (Lansing, Mich.) was named to the Preseason All-BIG EAST Second Team....
Women's Soccer Set To Host...
The Providence College women's soccer team will be hosting Marquette at 7:00 p.m. on Saturday, Oct. 25 at the Ray Treacy Track and Field Complex.